Old 15-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Richard Wright

Default autumn flowering cherry and mulberry

In Balmain (Sydney) I have today seen a cherry flowering. Also a
mulberry flowering.

These trees have never before flowered in the autumn. Is this
happening elsewhere in previously drought affected areas?
Old 16-03-2003, 06:44 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
In Balmain (Sydney) I have today seen a cherry flowering. Also a
mulberry flowering.

These trees have never before flowered in the autumn. Is this
happening elsewhere in previously drought affected areas?

Yes my magnolia has just had a false spring for the same reason.

David

Old 18-03-2003, 08:09 PM
John Savage

Richard Wright writes:
In Balmain (Sydney) I have today seen a cherry flowering. Also a
mulberry flowering.

These trees have never before flowered in the autumn. Is this
happening elsewhere in previously drought affected areas?

On his radio program, Graham Ross (of Ground Force infamy) said that
this week he saw in Sydney a row of pear trees all in full bloom. He said
this is 6 months out of season, and that the trees haven't had a chance to
store up much energy and by flowering at this time and setting fruit, many
of them may die.

This sounded pessimistic, but I guess he knows what he is talking about.
Or else I misunderstood what he was saying.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 19-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Richard Wright

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:04:55 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Richard Wright writes:
In Balmain (Sydney) I have today seen a cherry flowering. Also a
mulberry flowering.

These trees have never before flowered in the autumn. Is this
happening elsewhere in previously drought affected areas?

On his radio program, Graham Ross (of Ground Force infamy) said that
this week he saw in Sydney a row of pear trees all in full bloom. He said
this is 6 months out of season, and that the trees haven't had a chance to
store up much energy and by flowering at this time and setting fruit, many
of them may die.

This sounded pessimistic, but I guess he knows what he is talking about.
Or else I misunderstood what he was saying.

Yes, I guess the trees are a bit more adaptable than that! But it will
be interesting to see what happens in spring.