Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Roger Riordan

Default Athletic ability of possums?

After trying unsuccessfully to possum proof several trees, I wonder if anybody
has any information on the athletic abilities of possums? For example, how far
can they jump horizontally, or vertically, can they climb vertical brick walls,
how far can they reach, and so on?

Roger Riordan AM
Old 16-03-2003, 07:44 PM
len brauer

don't know if i can help roger but here goes,

usualy when you put a possom collar around a tree it needs to cover
from about 1.5meters from the bottom of the collar, usually collars
are made from falt sheet tin app' 18 to 20"s wide.

using there tails as another arm they can reach about the length of
their bodies at that point. don't know if they can climb brick walls
but wouldn't doubt that they can not much stands in their way.

when you collar a tree yo must make sure that there is no other trees
or high fences anywhere near the branches of that tree or the collar
won't work they will use the other route.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Old 28-03-2003, 09:20 PM
alwynne mackie

I found that Charlie Carp worked in the same way. Because it's a bit oily,
it doesn't wash off with the first drop of rain - if we ever have any. We
only have ringtails, so I don't know if it works on brushtails.
Cheers
Alwynne

"J & A Haig" wrote in message
u...
Roger,

I have successfully protected young trees by spraying with Thiram

fungicide
after seeing a Qld DPI leaflet on protection of young trees on farms from
hares, wallabies, possums, etc. Not easy to get, usually need to go to a
agricultural or horticultural supply company as nurseries didn't seem to
stock it. After a few nibbles the possums went elsewhere for something

more
palatable. Strange, it didn't seem to have a strong odour or anything,

they
just didn't like it. It is a fungicide for fruit trees so it seems to be
fairly safe.

Good luck, Jim

"Roger Riordan" wrote in message
"J & A Haig" wrote:

Roger,

ours consistently jump 2-3m, and those that play football on our iron

roof
like a running jump and my guess is they would do up to 5m. They tend

climb walls at corners where they can grasp either side of the corner

and
it
seesm to be no trouble.

jim

Thank you for all for your suggestions. While I was pondering your

answers, I
thought I would apply a little physics to the problem, and then I

realized
that
possums were controlled by the same laws of physics as schoolboys, and

that in
the dim and distant past, when I was at high school, I was expected to

be
able
to clear something like 14 feet in the broad jump, and four feet in the

high
jump. I was no athlete, but over short distances I could run at 15 mph,

or
about 7m per second.

If we assume that a possum can run at 5m per second (on a roof, for

example),
and can jump at the optimum angle, it should be able to clear about 2.5m
horizontally, or jump 1.2m vertically. If it jumped from the roof to

something
2m below, it should be able to clear 3.2m, if it jumped horizontally, or

nearly
4m if it jumped at the optimum angle.

Unfortunately both the trees I want to protect have conveniently placed
launching pads nearby, and have complex branch structures which make it
extremely difficult to fit guards above this level, so even if these
calculations are very optimistic, I fear I'll have to resort to other

measures.

Roger Riordan AM

Old 27-08-2016, 04:01 AM
Registered User

This video - 'Opossum crawling up the wall'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRhkAVhsMQ

convinced me, although I have not seen the act with my own eyes.
- Irving

[quote=alwynne mackie;64288]Yes, they can climb brick walls.
Alwynne

Old 29-12-2023, 03:33 AM
Registered User

Xem Phim Thần Ẩn - The Last Immortal (2023) kể về chuyện tình của Nguyên Khải (con trai của Bạch Quyết) v* Thượng Cổ, một đoạn tình cảm gây hoạ tam giới, ng*y Chân Thần Bạch Quyết ra đi Chân Thần Thượng Cổ đã đóng c*a Thần Giới sau đó cùng con trai Nguyên Khải (do Vương An Vũ thủ vai) ở ẩn.

Linh hồn Phượng Ẩn bị phiêu tán ra ngo*i do Nguyên Khải một lần vô tình phá vỡ phong ấn. Nguyên Khải nỗ lực tu luyện để tìm lại hồn phách Phượng Ẩn đang lưu lạc tam giới v* trong một lần ở Đại Trạch Sơn, hắn nhặt được một con Thủy Ngưng Thú mang về sau hóa hình đặt tên l* A Âm (Triệu Lộ Tư thủ vai). Sau đó, A Âm cùng đồng h*nh với Nguyên Khải đi tìm hồn phách Phượng Ẩn. Cả h*nh trình hai người cứ hiểu lầm lẫn nhau v* cho đến khi A Âm chết cũng chưa cởi bỏ.

Sau khi chết, A Âm luân hồi một ng*n năm, Nguyên Khải đi tìm n*ng một ng*n năm. Một ng*n năm sau, A Âm lịch kiếp kết thúc trở về, Phượng Ẩn niết b*n giáng thế, trở th*nh Tân phượng ho*ng Phượng tộc. A Âm một lòng lao v*o sự nghiệp điều tra chân tướng, Nguyên Khải cũng phá giải nhiều b* ẩn, muốn cùng n*ng gương vỡ lại l*nh.

Kikuyu grass for an athletic field. [email protected] Lawns 0 14-10-2006 11:37 PM
Buffering ability of peat, was Whats more important PH or KH NetMax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 16-06-2004 04:13 PM
Possums EPSTEIN Australia 9 27-04-2003 08:32 AM
Testing Posting Ability lester Texas 5 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:37 AM