Old 16-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Willow

Default Plants Toxic to Dogs

I put three Callistemon Viminallis (can't remember the common name!) in my
back garden this weekend. One of our dog walking group asked if I had
checked whether it was toxic to dog. I have to admit that I didn't even
consider the possibility. Does anyone know whether this plant is toxic? Or
better yet, if there is a list on the net that lists plants toxic to
animals.

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 17-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Willow

--

Stuart Naylor wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:01:00 +0800, Willow wrote:

I put three Callistemon Viminallis (can't remember the common name!) in

my
back garden this weekend. One of our dog walking group asked if I had
checked whether it was toxic to dog. I have to admit that I didn't even
consider the possibility. Does anyone know whether this plant is toxic?

Or
better yet, if there is a list on the net that lists plants toxic to
animals.

Did you mean: Callistemon Viminalis and the region you live in would
have been handy to know too. ;-)

I'm doing well!! I'm in Perth.

In Melbourne I've not known of plants toxic to dogs although I've
heard it's OK to add scraps to their feed but not to add onions to
their diet because they react.

Yes, I've heard of that too... I was thinking more of the types of plants
you put in the garden that might have leaves which are toxic to dogs if they
happened to munch on one.

Best way is to phone your usual Vet. or ask in aus.pets

Yeah, I'll do that next time. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2003, 11:20 AM
China

G'day,
I've never heard of any problems with bottlebrush, and with so many council
and private plantings, I'd be shocked if there were. A vet on the radio
said that dogs can react to a wandering jew allergy, causes skin problems.
Maybe there is a local dog\pet newsgroup where you could ask. The plant you
mention is the weeping bottlebrush, hardy, tough and reasonably drought
resistant. I've heard though, that to many bottlebrush and grevillias can
destabilize bird populations as many of the birds that love them can get
very territorial, evicting a lot of the smaller species.

China
Wingham
NSW