Old 18-09-2005, 01:34 PM
PatC

Default Hormone assisted cuttings

I took some cuttings that originally took well & sprung up nice & green, but
they don't seem to get any better than this.
Actually seem to stop growing,
Any ideas guys?

Old 19-09-2005, 10:00 AM
meee

PatC wrote in message

I took some cuttings that originally took well & sprung up nice & green,

but
they don't seem to get any better than this.
Actually seem to stop growing,
Any ideas guys?

that sounds fairly normal. most cutting will put out the first set of leaves
from the nutrients stored in the stem already. After the first flush of
leaves they will concentrate on putting out roots to feed the leaves. Plants
must have the same volume of roots as leaves in order to be sustainable.
depending on the plant, this can take a few months, or a whole season.
depends on your weather too. if you have had the cuttings potted up for six
months over summer, and they are succulents, geraniums, or similar fast
growing, fleshy plants, try changing the soil to a more free draining mix,
soggy soil can sometimes retard growth, put them in a warmer spot, give some
organic fertilizer and keep moist. If it's a woody stemmed cutting that you
took over winter or in autumn, it will just be putting out major roots now.
feed it up, blood and bone and the occasional spray with seasol/fish
emulsion is great, put in a warm sheltered spot and keep moist. good luck!

Old 20-09-2005, 07:17 AM
PatC

Thanks so much
I was worried becuase I only have 5 left (2 went brown & died).
They are hardwood from Lemon verbena bush, I struck them in winter & they
are in a nice warm spot & I keep them moist.
I was concerned that fertiliser would be too strong, but going out now to
give them some fish emulsion.
Thanks for the good wishes as you can guess I'm fairly amateur.
BTW I'm in Sydney.

Old 21-09-2005, 11:41 AM
meee

PatC wrote in message

Thanks so much
I was worried becuase I only have 5 left (2 went brown & died).
They are hardwood from Lemon verbena bush, I struck them in winter & they
are in a nice warm spot & I keep them moist.
I was concerned that fertiliser would be too strong, but going out now to
give them some fish emulsion.
Thanks for the good wishes as you can guess I'm fairly amateur.
BTW I'm in Sydney.

Good luck!! I learnt by trial and error too...best way to learn!! I just
took a whole heap of cuttings, roses, camellias etc; most of them died, but
i learnt a lot, and got some from the second lot i took. another tip is to
cover the pot and cutting with glad wrap to seal in all the moisture, and
keep them in the kitchen near a warm stove or something- not too close or
they'll dry out, but just being in a warm room with good light will help; i
believe commercial nurseries use warming plates underneath, but that's
probably the closest we can get. i have found that thrive and other
commercial fertilizers easily burn emerging roots, but you should be fine
with b&b and fish emulsion. Good luck with the verbenas...they'll be
lovely!!

Old 21-09-2005, 01:30 PM
PatC

Hi
I hope they turn out, as I promised a couple of work mates to give them a
cutting.
Mind you only after I used the verbena leaves that I took to work that were
in amongst other garden flowers & the girls went ape 'Oh I love that smell
where did you get it'
We've all been there & done that eh?
Promise,.promises!

Pat