Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
meee

Default tropical cuttings

Hi everyone, just another Q. about tropical gardening...is there a better
way to propogate cuttings in tropical areas? I've been having some trouble,
especially with the more fleshy cuttings, with things rotting. I've used my
usual mix, keeping it moist as it dries out v. quickly in the heat, however
many of my cuttings rot. I'm experimenting at the moment with leaving some
to callus over for a bit longer before planting, but should i plant them in
sand only, or not water until roots form, or what? Does anyone have any
ideas? Thanks in advance.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 AM
A&G&K&H

"meee" wrote in message
Hi everyone, just another Q. about tropical gardening...is there a better
way to propogate cuttings in tropical areas? I've been having some

trouble,
especially with the more fleshy cuttings, with things rotting. I've used

my
usual mix, keeping it moist as it dries out v. quickly in the heat,

however
many of my cuttings rot. I'm experimenting at the moment with leaving some
to callus over for a bit longer before planting, but should i plant them

in
sand only, or not water until roots form, or what? Does anyone have any
ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try rooting hormone on the tips and then using a sharp sand mix. water
regularly.
HTH
Amanda

Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 AM
meee

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for that~!! Um, where do I get sharp sand from? I hear of it all the
time, but never have known what it really is.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:09 AM
A&G&K&H

"meee" wrote in message
news

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

...hmmm - well we get it from a creek bed at the IL's farm but I'd assume
that its available in nurseries. ...but its really just sand that is a bit
coarser as opposed to powdery consistency.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:14 AM
meee

so just any old coarse sand will do? Is beach sand ok? would it be ok if i
wash it, or would it contain too much salt??

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
news

Old 11-10-2005, 06:58 AM
GreenieLeBrun

meee wrote:
so just any old coarse sand will do? Is beach sand ok? would it be ok if i
wash it, or would it contain too much salt??

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Do not use beach sand, get some proper propagating mix from your local
nusery, it will have been sterilized to destroy pathogens such as
fungi, bacteria and nemotodes.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:13 AM
meee

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
oups.com...

meee wrote:
so just any old coarse sand will do? Is beach sand ok? would it be ok if

wash it, or would it contain too much salt??

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned

by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Do not use beach sand, get some proper propagating mix from your local
nusery, it will have been sterilized to destroy pathogens such as
fungi, bacteria and nemotodes.

thanks, I'll try that..... wish me luck, oh and does anyone know what i
should do with frangipane cuttings? They're nicely dried out and starting to
sprout, what now? should i just wack them in the above-mentioned mix?

Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 AM
GreenieLeBrun

I did a quick Google search on the matter and apparently once the
cuttings have dried you then just plant them in a pot with good
draining sandy mix.

Old 13-10-2005, 12:15 AM
A&G&K&H

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do not use beach sand, get some proper propagating mix from your local
nusery, it will have been sterilized to destroy pathogens such as
fungi, bacteria and nemotodes.

Ditto.
The main problem with the beach sand is the salt ... and I'm pretty sure you
not meant to take it form the beach (although plenty seems to come home with
us in our togs anyway

frangipanni cuttings should go well in any free-draining mix
good luck
Amanda

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Tropical Storm Allison was good to Houston... J Kolenovsky Texas 5 15-03-2003 09:08 PM
Tropical Storm Allison was good for Houston... J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 AM
Tropical Bonsai SAINT Bonsai 0 11-02-2003 01:25 PM
Tropical Tree Selector (Queensland) Phred sci.agriculture 0 19-10-2002 03:34 PM