Old 09-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Mordwid

Default tree identification please

Can anyone please help with identifying this tree:

http://www.trick.com.au/tree.htm

If anyone knows the reception centre 'Doltone House' in Sylvania Waters this
is where these tree are located.

Cheers to all.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Aprill Allen

It looks a bit like Ficus benjamina to me. Any other ideas?

...aprill

On 9/10/05 11:47 AM, in article
, "Mordwid"

Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
HC

I agree Aprill.......if so, I don't like the likelihood of the nice
stone wall surviving too long??

The landscaper who did the gardens for my house (built as exhibition
house) planted two small Ficus Benjamina about 2m (6ft) from the side
brick wall of the house. When I bought the house I decided they had a
limited life because I knew of their reputation and this wasn't a good
place for them to be planted....with one thing and another the job
wasn't done for a couple of years until I suddenly noticed they 'took
off' after a bout of consistent rain and put on over a metre of growth
in about a month and the surface roots went from finger diameter to
arm-size diameter, plus they were heading for the house. They make a
nice potted specimen, of which I have two, but in the ground they need
LOTS of space where they can spread without fear of damage by the root
system.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 09-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Mordwid" wrote:

Can anyone please help with identifying this tree:

http://www.trick.com.au/tree.htm

Some kind of fig -- Ficus hillii?

If anyone knows the reception centre 'Doltone House' in Sylvania Waters this
is where these tree are located.

LOL -- went to my first-ever wedding reception there! I grew up at Dolls
Point and went to Endeavour HS. Where are you gardening?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
gardenlen

mg'day mordwid,

not a real good pic but like the others could be 'ficus b'. if so the
landscaper who did that should have his/her head read hey, they have
very invasive root systems and for the main can't be accomodated in
the average garden.

best left as pot cultures they will cope with being root bound and
having root trims to refresh the mix almost forever.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Mordwid

thankyou everyone...

I reckon those trees look grouse!!

However I take on board the negative comments re invasive roots and won't be
planting this specimen!

Chookie - I'm in Sylvania - drive past Doltone all the time.

Maybe I should take a pic of the palms they planted directly out front -
boxed them in with a retaining wall which has already cracked severely and
is now been removed....be interesting to see what they are going to put
there.