GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   staghorn or elkhorn? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/107916-staghorn-elkhorn.html)

Jen 12-10-2005 01:50 AM

staghorn or elkhorn?

Does anyone know the difference between staghorn ferns and elkhorn ferns?
Do you have, or know where I can find pictures? I've googled, but it's
confusing.

--
Jen

gardenlen 12-10-2005 06:36 AM

g'day jen,

yes easy to tell their names are as follows:

elkhorn aka 'platycerium bifurcatum'

staghorn aka 'platycerium superbum'

the stag is the favourite

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

[email protected] 12-10-2005 07:49 AM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:36:31 GMT, gardenlen wrote:

staghorn aka 'platycerium superbum'

They named that after my missus's fat arse!

Damn, I have a sudden pain in the back of my head! ;-)

Jen 12-10-2005 08:43 AM

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day jen,

yes easy to tell their names are as follows:

elkhorn aka 'platycerium bifurcatum'

staghorn aka 'platycerium superbum'

do you know where I can find pictures? The names seem to be all mixed up
when I google.

--
Jen

Barbara 12-10-2005 08:48 AM

Jen wrote:
"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day jen,

yes easy to tell their names are as follows:

elkhorn aka 'platycerium bifurcatum'

staghorn aka 'platycerium superbum'

do you know where I can find pictures? The names seem to be all
mixed up when I google.

Ekhorns are usually made of of a lot of 'shields' grouped together.

Staghorns are one solid shield

Trish Brown 12-10-2005 09:46 AM

wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:36:31 GMT, gardenlen wrote:

staghorn aka 'platycerium superbum'

They named that after my missus's fat arse!

Damn, I have a sudden pain in the back of my head! ;-)

My very best regards to your Missus, then! ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia

gardenlen 12-10-2005 09:49 AM

g'day jen,

when you search make sure it is an australian search best to go to
library and get book as the yanks call them all about face to us well
you can't expect much from people who call pumpkins squash hey lol.

gardenlen 12-10-2005 10:20 AM

yeh trish he's a braver man than i, reckon pain in back of head
probably a bullet hey lol.

and it isn't super-bum it is superb-um

Trish Brown 12-10-2005 01:16 PM

gardenlen wrote:
yeh trish he's a braver man than i, reckon pain in back of head
probably a bullet hey lol.

and it isn't super-bum it is superb-um

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

'ey len! What about Dendrobium bigibbum then? How'd you pronounce that?

(*We* always called it biggie-bum and thought of our Mum...)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia

gardenlen 12-10-2005 07:37 PM

g'day trish,

well in the mumbo jumbo world of horticulture or whatever science it
is that has the godlike powers of naming & re-naming things any name
like that would be i reckon abbreviated the same as the stag ie.,.
'bigibb-um', now don' t ask me why but the namer will have some ego in
their and incorporate his/her/its own name or someones name who the
are sucking up to, therefore saving that name for posterity in cement
or should i say a plant.

but as it is a free world and if people prefer they can say
'super-bum' or 'bigib-bum', no allusions from me to any genders
posterior.

Jen 12-10-2005 10:59 PM

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message
Rule of thumb

Elks have babies, stags don't

So because I got mine from another plant, that means mine is an Elkhorn?

So how do staghorn propagate?

Thanks

--
Jen

gardenlen 13-10-2005 04:21 AM

g'day jen,

stags by spore or by tissue culturing, be good if they did have bub's
like the elk hey but then nothing looks as spectacular as a huge
healthy stag.

Jen 13-10-2005 05:47 AM

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day jen,

stags by spore or by tissue culturing, be good if they did have bub's
like the elk hey but then nothing looks as spectacular as a huge
healthy stag.

Thankyou for your help. You're wonderful.

--
Jen