GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horseradish in Perth WA (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/108665-horseradish-perth-wa.html)

pvl318is 01-11-2005 09:23 AM

Horseradish in Perth WA

Hi,

I would like to grow Horseradish in Perth but am unable to find
anywhere to buy the root or plant.
Can i use a root that is bought from a fruit and veg shop or does it
need to be a fresh cut root?
If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

Cheers
Paul

leftred 01-11-2005 08:17 PM

Horseradish in Perth WA

"pvl318is" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I would like to grow Horseradish in Perth but am unable to find
anywhere to buy the root or plant.
Can i use a root that is bought from a fruit and veg shop or does it
need to be a fresh cut root?
If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

Cheers
Paul

You can grow it from root cuttings see below
www.herbherbert.com/pdf/horseradish.pdf

Chookie 02-11-2005 12:15 PM

Horseradish in Perth WA

In article .com,
"pvl318is" wrote:

I would like to grow Horseradish in Perth but am unable to find
anywhere to buy the root or plant.
Can i use a root that is bought from a fruit and veg shop or does it
need to be a fresh cut root?

No idea, but remember that it's like comfrey -- if you plant it you will no be
able to get rid of it. The roots go down about 2m -- probably further in your
sandy soil.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

David Hare-Scott 03-11-2005 07:46 AM

Horseradish in Perth WA

"pvl318is" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I would like to grow Horseradish in Perth but am unable to find
anywhere to buy the root or plant.
Can i use a root that is bought from a fruit and veg shop or does it
need to be a fresh cut root?
If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

Cheers
Paul

There is a good chance that the root from a vege shop would still be viable,
anyway it will cost little to find out.

David