Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Jen

Default aphid plague on nasturtiums

I have nasturtiums growing under my roses. I love nasturtiums and it's the
only place I have left to grow them. A couple of months ago I noticed some
aphids on the roses, as of course they always get, but I hadn't got around
to spraying them yet. Yesterday the nasturtiums looked really sad and
seemed to be covered with aphids. Today I pulled the nasturtiums out, and I
was absolutely amazed at how many aphids were around. There were great
clumps of them. Looks like they were mainly under the leaves, but kept
breeding. There were also heaps of caterpillars. I don't know what I'm
going to be able to do with them when they grow back, it's just too many
nasturtiums to spray. Does anybody have any ideas?

Jen

Old 05-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Poor Jen,

Don't you know that aphids are born pregnant?

You may as well spray and spray again.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
mick

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:16:18 +0000, Cereus-validus-........... wrote:

Does anybody have any ideas?

Just use a hose and blast them off or a soap spray

Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Jen

"mick" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:16:18 +0000, Cereus-validus-........... wrote:

Does anybody have any ideas?

Just use a hose and blast them off or a soap spray

A soap spray would probably be difficult, because of all the leaves, and
with so many aphids under the leaves. I was thinking of blasting with the
hose, but because I've got that area set up with a sprinkler system, it
takes a bit to drag the hose out of the shed, and I hadn't realized how bad
it was until it was beyond the hosing. I guess I should try to check it all
more regularly when it comes up again, and give it a blast with the hose
every now and again anyway.

Thanks

Jen

Old 05-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jen" wrote in message

Just use a hose and blast them off or a soap spray

A soap spray would probably be difficult, because of all the leaves, and
with so many aphids under the leaves.

How about buying one of those hose-end things that you put chemical sprays
into, and dispense the soap spray from there? It certainly would be fast. I
don't have a good recipe for the soap spray, but someone here probably does.
Or, Safers Insecticidal Soap.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Jen

How about buying one of those hose-end things that you put chemical sprays
into, and dispense the soap spray from there? It certainly would be fast.
I don't have a good recipe for the soap spray, but someone here probably
does. Or, Safers Insecticidal Soap.

That's a good idea. Thanks

Jen

Old 07-11-2005, 01:31 AM
meee

i've found good old white oil with a few drops detergent does fine for
aphids. and using the hose attachment to dispense whatever you use sounds
like a great idea, spraying is probably the only way to grow the
nasturtiums. you might also want to sprinkle ant sand around the base, as
t5hat will prevent the ants bringing more aphids there.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-11-2005, 05:07 AM
Travis

meee wrote:
i've found good old white oil with a few drops detergent does
fine
for aphids. and using the hose attachment to dispense whatever
you
use sounds like a great idea, spraying is probably the only way
grow the nasturtiums. you might also want to sprinkle ant sand
around the base, as t5hat will prevent the ants bringing more
aphids there.

What the heck is "good old white oil"? What is "ant sand"?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 AM
meee

oops, sorry, didn't check your sig. line. White oil is, (others correct me
please if I'm wrong) a petroleum based product that resembles thick, shiny
cream, dissolves in water and is used as a general insecticide. it is
diluted with water, and sprayed onto the insects, i believe it blobks their
breathing apparatus. it has to be re-applied with each infestation, but is
cheaper, and i think more gently, than some other pesticides. it can be used
for insects like scale which protect themselves from toxins with an outer
covering. 'ant sand' is a product made by mortein i think, that is basically
pesticide coated sand. it's used around houses on the outside ie. on patios,
as it killas ants and they won't cross it (usually). i've used it to control
ants carrying aphids onto my plats, just be careful where there are surface
roots, i haven't had any problems so far but i have only used it on very
deep rooted plants. check with a garden centre for something to wipe out the
ants, or they will keep carrying the ants onto your nasturtiums and roses.
it's interesting that they are attacking the nasturtiums over the roses, you
must have an aphid resistant variety. ask for white oil too, it's fairly
general purpose. good luck!

Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 AM
GreenieLeBrun

Travis wrote:
meee wrote:
i've found good old white oil with a few drops detergent does
fine
for aphids. and using the hose attachment to dispense whatever
you
use sounds like a great idea, spraying is probably the only way
grow the nasturtiums. you might also want to sprinkle ant sand
around the base, as t5hat will prevent the ants bringing more
aphids there.

What the heck is "good old white oil"? What is "ant sand"?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

You can make your own white oil, have a look at
http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s780287.htm

Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Travis

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
Travis wrote:
meee wrote:
i've found good old white oil with a few drops detergent
does
fine
for aphids. and using the hose attachment to dispense
whatever
you
use sounds like a great idea, spraying is probably the only
way
grow the nasturtiums. you might also want to sprinkle ant
sand
around the base, as t5hat will prevent the ants bringing
more
aphids there.

What the heck is "good old white oil"? What is "ant sand"?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

You can make your own white oil, have a look at
http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s780287.htm

I see.

Thanks.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 10-01-2006, 10:00 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Dave

Jen wrote:
I have nasturtiums growing under my roses. I love nasturtiums and it's the
only place I have left to grow them. A couple of months ago I noticed some
aphids on the roses, as of course they always get, but I hadn't got around
to spraying them yet. Yesterday the nasturtiums looked really sad and
seemed to be covered with aphids. Today I pulled the nasturtiums out, and I
was absolutely amazed at how many aphids were around. There were great
clumps of them. Looks like they were mainly under the leaves, but kept
breeding. There were also heaps of caterpillars. I don't know what I'm
going to be able to do with them when they grow back, it's just too many
nasturtiums to spray. Does anybody have any ideas?

Jen

Ant sand controls the ants that protect aphids- they fend off ladybirds
and other predators. Worth a try.

Confidor is very effective against aphids. It has low toxicity to
vertebrates, but will kill bees. However, if you have removed all the
plants, the winged aphids will leave, the rest will die. However, they
will come back for the next crop.

For caterpillars, try Dipel or a new organic insecticide called Spinosad
(sold as "Success".

Good luck!
Dave