GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   oyster plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/108962-oyster-plant.html)

nagem et al 11-11-2005 02:37 AM

oyster plant

HI,

has anyone had much experience with the oyster plant?? (Acanthus)
I wanted to plant some adjacent to our back verandah - faces East and gets
shade from about11-12 onwards.
It can get a bit dry, depending on the weather but we are able to water from
the tanks we put in b4 the rains came.

Does this plant spread and become a problem? any terrible pests apart from
snails? will a garden bed 60cm wide be
big enough?

was wanting to interplant with other things for some variation - got any
suggestions here??

we're in Hawkesbury area of Sydney ??? zone 6 ?? gets v. hot and vv.cold

cheers all

[email protected] 11-11-2005 05:46 AM

oyster plant

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:37:45 +1100, "nagem et al" wrote:

HI,

has anyone had much experience with the oyster plant?? (Acanthus)
I wanted to plant some adjacent to our back verandah - faces East and gets
shade from about11-12 onwards.
It can get a bit dry, depending on the weather but we are able to water from
the tanks we put in b4 the rains came.

Does this plant spread and become a problem? any terrible pests apart from
snails? will a garden bed 60cm wide be
big enough?

was wanting to interplant with other things for some variation - got any
suggestions here??

we're in Hawkesbury area of Sydney ??? zone 6 ?? gets v. hot and vv.cold

If you live near the bush, don't plant acanthus mollis. It is a weed.

Otherwise it is a very tough plant.

David 20-11-2005 07:28 PM

oyster plant

But does like water and gee it can spread like wildfire if not kept in check
if you dig it up get rid of it in the compost bin - its all over my yard now
not a bad thing really
Lushy