GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transplanting large number of roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/109294-transplanting-large-number-roses.html)

panuara 22-11-2005 10:37 PM

transplanting large number of roses

I have just been asked to transplant 400 plus roses from the hunter
valley to tamworth at very short notice.
Any ideas on how to do this easily.
should I prune heavily first, trim roots, pack in moist sand ?
any ideas.

GreenieLeBrun 23-11-2005 12:49 AM

panuara wrote:
I have just been asked to transplant 400 plus roses from the hunter
valley to tamworth at very short notice.
Any ideas on how to do this easily.
should I prune heavily first, trim roots, pack in moist sand ?
any ideas.

You would normally transplant roses in winter when they are dormant.

If you have to move them at this time of year you should prune them
back hard and remove any leaves. Make sure the ground is moist before
you dig them. Trim any damaged roots. Do not let the roots dry out, you
could place the plants in damp hardwood sawdust as commercial growers
do for transportation.

Chookie 24-11-2005 05:29 AM

transplanting large number of roses

In article .com,
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

panuara wrote:
I have just been asked to transplant 400 plus roses from the hunter
valley to tamworth at very short notice.
Any ideas on how to do this easily.
should I prune heavily first, trim roots, pack in moist sand ?
any ideas.

You would normally transplant roses in winter when they are dormant.

If you have to move them at this time of year you should prune them
back hard and remove any leaves. Make sure the ground is moist before
you dig them. Trim any damaged roots. Do not let the roots dry out, you
could place the plants in damp hardwood sawdust as commercial growers
do for transportation.

And slap the owners around the head for being so poorly organised.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

panuara 30-11-2005 01:28 AM

transplanting large number of roses

thanks, followed the advice, successfully moved over 700 roses in 1
day. found they still had another thousand. sacrificed them to the
bulldozer as they wanted to redevelop the area, hence the haste. Not m
y ideal choice.
thanks again for the advice