GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree help please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/109334-tree-help-please.html)

Blair Campbell 24-11-2005 02:12 AM

Tree help please

We have really struggled to get a tree established in our front yard.
We planted a tipuana and an albizia about years ago. The tipuana has really
taken off and is now huge and very healthy.
The albizia died and we replaced it with a gleditsia. The gleditsia really
struggled for awhile and died right back on one side. We had to prune it
right back to the one and only off-shoot that was alive on one side to find
any living wood. It now seems to have settled down but all we have left is a
main trunk and one now fairly healthy and vigorous growing shoot off on on
side of the main trunk. The poor thing looks totally lopsided.
Is there any way to encourage a shoot off the main trunk on the other side
to balance it out?
We almost gave up on the tree and pulled it out. It we can't balance it out
we may still have to. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Blair

John A. Keslick, Jr. 26-11-2005 03:41 PM

Tree help please

--
Your question is a good one. A pruning guide that will help you is "World
Wide Pruning Guide" by Dr. Shigo.

Remember we must treat the whole system. The systematic approach to the
care of trees is called Modern Arboriculture. The book Modern Arboriculture
can be found here. Again the web site is:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

See "pruning" in our Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com