Old 28-11-2005, 10:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
Wylie Wilde

Default Pelargoniums and geraniums problems

Hi,

My Pelargoniums and geraniums have got serious problems and I'm not too sure
how to solve them.

The pelargonium flowers- esp the white variety- exhibit a problem similar to
the rose disease called botrytis.
http://members.tripod.com/sactorose/ipm/83botrytis.html

The flowers have spots of sickly pink red in them. Most of the buds turn
brown and die.

The geraniums have small angry browny-red spots under their leaves and
yellow spots on top. The leaves turn brown and the plants looks positively
sick.

Not too sure what to do. What should i spray?

Cheers,

Wilde

Old 29-11-2005, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

Yes, I had this problem too. remove all the affected leaves, don't worry, at
this time of year they will grow back, burn the affected leaves and flours
or dispose of in council garbage bin. Then spray weekly with a fungicide; I
think i used copper oxychloride (I'm not sure about the oxychloride bit, it
was copper something; an aqua coloured powder you mix up and use as a
fungicide). Make sure you keep the plant in full sun, and watch carefully.
also look for the source of the fungus, mine was coming from farmland
nearby. Moving the plant so that an obstacle such as a house is between the
plant and the source of infection can help a littl, and watering the roots
not the leaves also helped. Just keep the fungicide up and keep the plant in
full sun and you'll be away. Good luck!!

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 30-11-2005, 05:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Wylie Wilde" wrote:

My Pelargoniums and geraniums have got serious problems and I'm not too sure
how to solve them.

The pelargonium flowers- esp the white variety- exhibit a problem similar to
the rose disease called botrytis.
http://members.tripod.com/sactorose/ipm/83botrytis.html

Are your geraniums in full sun? Is it a relatively dry spot?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 30-11-2005, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Wylie Wilde

Yes they are in a sunny spot. The problem is that I wasn't allowed to prune
them during Winter.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Wylie Wilde" wrote:

Yes they are in a sunny spot. The problem is that I wasn't allowed to prune
them during Winter.

I don't know that that would have encouraged fungus; IME they just get leggy.

The reason I ask is that geraniums in full sun, with good air circulation,
don't usually get fungal diseases.