Old 18-12-2005, 06:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
David

Default Help with passionfruit vine - NSW Australia

We have a passionfruit vine. The first year it flowered but had no
fruit, the next 2 years there were not even flowers.

The leaves look very healthy dark green, 3 deep lobed. The vine grows
very quickly and needs trimming each week but does not flower.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

--

Kind Regards

David Huisman
General Manager
ORBIT COMMUNICATIONS Pty Ltd - Wireless Solutions that Work
(Telemetry, Control, Monitoring, Security, HVAC ...)
A.C.N. 107 441 869

Website : http://www.orbitcoms.com
PO Box 4474 Lakehaven
NSW 2263, AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61-2-4393-3627
Fax : 61-2-4393-3685
Mobile: 61-413-715-986
Old 18-12-2005, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 06:16:02 GMT, David wrote:

We have a passionfruit vine. The first year it flowered but had no
fruit, the next 2 years there were not even flowers.

The leaves look very healthy dark green, 3 deep lobed. The vine grows
very quickly and needs trimming each week but does not flower.

Any ideas ?

(1) Stop trimming it. Passionfruit bear fruit on the new growth.

(2) Sounds like the understock has taken over if it is a Nellie Kelly.

Old 18-12-2005, 08:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:04:57 GMT, David wrote:

Thanks.

If we stop trimming it, the vine quickly grows over the neighbors fence.
It is currently growing to the top of a 6' fence and about 6m along it.

What can we do about this under stock growth ? Is there some way of
fixing the situation ?

Have a close look. If the growth is coming from below the graft, then that growth must be removed.
Sometimes the bit above the graft dies off meaning the whole plant should be replaced.
Old 19-12-2005, 03:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:22:17 GMT, David wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

What is the graft and how do I identify it ?

The just appears to me as branches and leaves (heaps and heaps of bushy
leaves)

A graft is where they put the top of one plant onto the roots of another. You will usually see a
distinct line and slightly different trunk colour below and above the graft. Sometimes you will see
a difference in trunk diameter.

They do it to speed up growth in some cases and to allow the healthy growth of what would otherwise
be a weak plant.

Old 19-12-2005, 03:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
David

Thanks,

I took a look and identified what looked like the point where the
passionfruit was grafted onto the main stock.

There were 5 additional "branches" that were growing from the main root
before the graft so I cut these off and left only the "branches" after
the graft point.

Maybe too much energy was going into the root stock that the grafted
part did not get sufficient nutrients to flower. Would this sound about
right ?

Old 19-12-2005, 05:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
David wrote:

What is the graft and how do I identify it ?

The leaves of the edible passionfruit look like this:
http://www.nwmangum.com/PassionFruit/040208-142851.html

THey should be the size of your hand and shiny on top. The Nelly Kelly
understock is a blue-green leaf that only gets to about 5cm. The wretched
suckers come up everywhere. I have even used roundup on them!

Note to self: Do not buy a grafted passionfruit next time!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 19-12-2005, 06:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
David

Chookie,

Yip, my leaves look like that. Deep shiny green and three lobed.

But my vine is about 5 times thicker than the ones in your photos.

Thanks

Old 20-12-2005, 05:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:58:19 GMT, David wrote:

Thanks,

I took a look and identified what looked like the point where the
passionfruit was grafted onto the main stock.

There were 5 additional "branches" that were growing from the main root
before the graft so I cut these off and left only the "branches" after
the graft point.

This is good.

Maybe too much energy was going into the root stock that the grafted
part did not get sufficient nutrients to flower. Would this sound about
right ?

Yes. growth from the understock will take over.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Grafted passion fruits are over rated. Mine grew from seed and is all
over the place.(Its huge) By the way, make sure its facing north and is
not on the shady part of the house. Tried to work out why my chinese
gooseberries (Kiwifruit) werent growing well and found out that they
need full sun Er duh !!! I didnt plant it, but soon found out this can
be a problem. Lot of leaves but no fruit...
Face the plant to the morning suna nd you shouldnt have any problems
David wrote:
Chookie,

Yip, my leaves look like that. Deep shiny green and three lobed.

But my vine is about 5 times thicker than the ones in your photos.

Thanks