GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoe trouble (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/110030-tomatoe-trouble.html)

Terry & Angela 22-12-2005 12:01 AM

Tomatoe trouble

We have a few tomatoe plants in the garden (various varieties) but they
don't fruit very well also the leaves keep dying I heard something on the
radio the other day about something in the soil and putting diluted molasses
on it but Ididn't catch it all can anybody help.

Thanks
Terry & Angela

Robby 22-12-2005 02:51 AM

Tomatoe trouble

"Terry & Angela" wrote in message
We have a few tomatoe plants in the garden (various varieties) but they
don't fruit very well also the leaves keep dying I heard something on the
radio the other day about something in the soil and putting diluted
molasses on it but Ididn't catch it all can anybody help.

Thanks
Terry & Angela
Could be a Nematode problem, (little worm like creatures in the soil), to
prevent this I dig Bayer Nemacure into the plot prior to planting a tomato
crop.

Nematodes are more common in sandy soils I think.
Robby

jils 22-12-2005 05:47 AM

Tomatoe trouble

dunno about the molasses but we can't grow tomatoes because of nematodes
in the soil.
they're sort of cyclic, they stay there unless you treat them all the time.
we gave up trying to grow anything in the nematode infected soil,
we put some good soil in big buckets, grow the toms in those.
the buckets don't look pretty but at least the stuff grows!

jils 22-12-2005 05:48 AM

Tomatoe trouble

try he
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5406.html
Laboratory and glasshouse experiments examined the inhibition effects of
molasses on root-knot nematodes.