Old 27-12-2005, 10:15 PM posted to aus.gardens
Unlucky

Default Laying down plastic

I haven't layed plastic down before, but need to do so now as my weed
problem is too great, I spray and spray and spray, but they keep coming
back. Can anyone please help me with how the best way is to go about
laying it. Thank you in advance.

Old 28-12-2005, 02:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Unlucky" wrote in message
I haven't layed plastic down before, but need to do so now as my weed
problem is too great, I spray and spray and spray, but they keep coming
back. Can anyone please help me with how the best way is to go about
laying it. Thank you in advance.

Plastic will kill the microbes in your soil and keep out water. This means
nothing much will grow and you may have a water runoff problem too. As
others have said weedmat is a better option. Thick organic mulch over
weedmat or newspaper (6-10 sheets thick) is better still.

David

Old 28-12-2005, 02:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
Unlucky

David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Unlucky" wrote in message

I haven't layed plastic down before, but need to do so now as my weed
problem is too great, I spray and spray and spray, but they keep coming
back. Can anyone please help me with how the best way is to go about
laying it. Thank you in advance.

Plastic will kill the microbes in your soil and keep out water. This means
nothing much will grow and you may have a water runoff problem too. As
others have said weedmat is a better option. Thick organic mulch over
weedmat or newspaper (6-10 sheets thick) is better still.

David

Thank everyone for the replies, I will have to re look at the situation
with your suggestions in mind.
Old 31-12-2005, 03:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day unlucky,

all i ever do is use newspaper mostly sometimes cardboard as well and
heaps of mulch too easy.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Old 13-01-2006, 07:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Wylie Wilde

Best thing to use is thick loads of very wet old newspaper. Soak the
newspaper overnight in the water - then place it onto the garden beds and
cover it with mulch or top soil. If you expose it or put too little paper,
it won't do the job.

Don't use plastic- they cause the clay in my soil to harden and also killed
all the worms in the garden. That was the state of it when I first got hold
of the place. The previous owner had laid down thick black plastic onto the
garden- then placed top soil onto it. Somehow it caused the death of all the
worms in the garden. I couldn't find any (earthworms or compost worm types)
despite digging around for six months.

After I removed the plastic and placed in earthworms + compost worms I found
elsewhere, the garden is doing ok.

GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 08:11 AM
Corn laying down Pat Edible Gardening 9 02-07-2005 11:18 AM
Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Tomatoes - to plastic or not to plastic? Jenn Edible Gardening 1 14-11-2003 02:02 AM
Tomatoes - to plastic or not to plastic? Jenn Edible Gardening 0 14-11-2003 02:02 AM