Old 14-01-2006, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Perth lawn not looking good

Hey Mel,

I had the same problem and it is not bugs. Even though we have had plenty of
rain in Perth it doesn't stop the annual draw down of soil moisture. In fact
the soil becomes water repelent and bypasses the grass roots.

I found this out after trying to dig a hole in the yard. 750mm down I had
something akin to hour glass sand. This was dry and wanting to cave in the
hole as I dug.

I have reticulation (bore) and moved a sprinkler to get better coverage on
the lawn. It has greened up a treat.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Richard

"mel" wrote in message
u...
Hi All
I out down Blood and bone and chemical fertilizer and my lawn was looking
great, gave it plenty of water, but then brown patches started to appear
and spread , is this some kind of grub.
thanks in anticipation

mel

Old 14-01-2006, 12:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"mel" wrote:

Hi All
I out down Blood and bone and chemical fertilizer and my lawn was looking
great, gave it plenty of water, but then brown patches started to appear
and spread , is this some kind of grub.

Could be, or perhaps you just overfed it -- b&b IS a fertiliser. What was the
fertiliser and did you apply it (and the b&b) at the recommended rate?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Old 16-01-2006, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens
tt

"mel" wrote in message
u...
Hi All
I out down Blood and bone and chemical fertilizer and my lawn was looking
great, gave it plenty of water, but then brown patches started to appear
and spread , is this some kind of grub.
thanks in anticipation

mel

i live in perth, and every summer we have to treat the lawns for
blackbettle. dunno the technical names, but they love eating the grass
roots. and the healthy lawn dies for no reason.

check out bunnings. they have heaps of stuff for black beetle. best i have
found is baythroid. once asummer at start ofsummer. and bingo.. u will find
hundreds of black bettles come up and die. also i believe that washing up
water wiht detergent in it brings them out too.

goodluck

Old 18-01-2006, 02:50 PM posted to aus.gardens
mel

"tt" wrote in message

"mel" wrote in message
[...]

Yep I thing that is what I have got.
I did got some chemical from Bunnings called (Brunnings Grub Destroyer)
which I put down just before my post, and that seem to have stopped the
spread, the grass is growing back but I think I may be left with a few dead
patches.
Thanks for the conformation

mel