Old 15-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Cool Bromaliad question from a rookie

Happy New Year to All! The flower of our bromaliad has died few months ago but we kept the plant because there is a new shoot growing on its side. To give the shoot the best chances, should we cut the old leaves? cut the bulb in half? or leave it all together? how do we nuture it? will it ever flower again? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge! Cheerio.
Old 15-01-2006, 04:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Default Bromaliad question from a rookie

theozfrog wrote:
Happy New Year to All! The flower of our bromaliad has died few months
ago but we kept the plant because there is a new shoot growing on its
side. To give the shoot the best chances, should we cut the old leaves?
cut the bulb in half? or leave it all together? how do we nuture it?
will it ever flower again? Thank you in advance for sharing your
knowledge! Cheerio.

In Sydney, We just leave them. If we want them to flower, we just pour a
bucket of water over them each day for a week (or something like that).

Actually, our flowers (4 or 5 varieties) ony last for a fortnight or so.

Do you mean the heat has killed the leaves?
Don't write them off until you've sacrificed a few buckets of water.
We've had ones that I swore were dead after transplanting come back to
life after a good water.

I'd leave the dead leaves as mulch and future food.

Old 15-01-2006, 07:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day theozfrog,

you could just simply leave it the old part won't interfere with the
new developing plant, later on when the old bit is realy rotted just
pull of all the old leaves for neatness.

or if you want to try and get more of the brom you could cut the old
section away immidiately above where the new pup is growing stick this
old section into some medium doesn't matter what as broms live from
the water that is in the cup they don't need a potting medium for the
most and will happily grow attached to a tree, and that old section
will likely grow a new pup. so you will double the plant, with some
broms you can repeat a couple of times but mostly only once.

their routine is to flower and die so the new pup(s) will be your
flowers next year/season.

remember if you do this the new pup then stays attached to the old
root stock.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 25-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenlen
[...]

Thank you very mulch Ien!
Old 25-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Collins
theozfrog wrote:
Happy New Year to All! The flower of our bromaliad has died few months
ago but we kept the plant because there is a new shoot growing on its
side. To give the shoot the best chances, should we cut the old leaves?
cut the bulb in half? or leave it all together? how do we nuture it?
will it ever flower again? Thank you in advance for sharing your
knowledge! Cheerio.

In Sydney, We just leave them. If we want them to flower, we just pour a
bucket of water over them each day for a week (or something like that).

Actually, our flowers (4 or 5 varieties) ony last for a fortnight or so.

Do you mean the heat has killed the leaves?
Don't write them off until you've sacrificed a few buckets of water.
We've had ones that I swore were dead after transplanting come back to
life after a good water.

I'd leave the dead leaves as mulch and future food.

Thank you very mulch Terry!