Old 15-01-2006, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
novice

Default Gardening resources request

Hi,

We moved to the Werribee area (west of Melbourne) about 6 months ago
and our garden could use some colour. I am looking for ideas on
landscaping and on what grows in this dry area, apart from weeds ie.
We have a very dry garden, frontyard faces east and backyard faces
west, and I am mindful of using tapwater sparingly + have two small
children who I want to keep away from harmful chemicals etc . Can
anyone recommend any gardening resources (books, publications,
websites etc.)?

I am totally new to gardening. Coming from Europe, I am astonished to
what people can grow in the neighbourhood, considering it is so dry!
Finding out the names of the plants is another matter

Thank you for your kind help!

Novice

Old 15-01-2006, 12:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
Rheilly Phoull

"novice" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

We moved to the Werribee area (west of Melbourne) about 6 months ago
and our garden could use some colour. I am looking for ideas on
landscaping and on what grows in this dry area, apart from weeds ie.
We have a very dry garden, frontyard faces east and backyard faces
west, and I am mindful of using tapwater sparingly + have two small
children who I want to keep away from harmful chemicals etc . Can
anyone recommend any gardening resources (books, publications,
websites etc.)?

I am totally new to gardening. Coming from Europe, I am astonished to
what people can grow in the neighbourhood, considering it is so dry!
Finding out the names of the plants is another matter

Thank you for your kind help!

Novice

Well there seems a lot of leads on google (YOUR FRIEND!!) under "Australian
native plants".

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull

Old 15-01-2006, 08:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day novice,

yes ther are dedicated forums for native plant growers eg.,. another
is gardenweb forums in the au section.

but basically there are a couple ways you could do this, and the first
is like you seem to have done walk around the neighbourhood and see
what growing well, then the second is hang over the fence and ask the
owners of those plants what they are yuo achieve 2 things this way you
get the name of the plant and you get to meet a neighbour.

but basically if you have a good local nursery they should put you
straight on dry garden natives. but remember mulching heavily is a big
secret ingredient. and don't forget to determine where yiour drain
pipes are so you don't plant tree/shrubs with invasive root system too
near to them.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 16-01-2006, 02:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

Novice,
Welcome to the fabulous world of Gardening. We lived in Werribee (Kathleen
Cres) for about six years - you have a challenge ahead of you !! A part from
being hot and dry, that clay is appalling.

I suggest you either wait until the ground gets a bit wetter, then dig in
heaps of organic material and a bit of sand - or build up some beds with
sleepers or concrete retaining blocks and fill with good soil - there's a
landscape supply place nearby, but can't remember exactly where - I think
along Forsythe Road. The Nursery along there is good and will know where
to get soil.

We grew Westringias and Callistemons quite well - I imagine some grevilleas
would also do OK
Geoff

Old 17-01-2006, 06:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Rheilly Phoull" wrote:

Well there seems a lot of leads on google (YOUR FRIEND!!) under "Australian
native plants".

Yeah. That's why Google is NOT your friend.

Try Diggers Club in Dromana. They do mail order, but they have a garden there
that you can visit. It isn't all natives; their specialty is waterwise and
heirloom plants.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.