Old 25-01-2006, 10:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rod Out Back

Default Replacement for African Milk-Bush

Folks,

We have an African Milk-Bush growing along the Northern side of our
house, and it has done quite well over the past 15 years. By the time
the 4 adult plants hd established, we had a veritable jungle of green
along the verandah.
However, the original plant has died, and the next-oldest plant is
looking like it might go the same way, and I got to wondering about
alternatives.

The reason we like it? it has largeish waxy leaves that are bright
green. The green tree frog guild think it's THE place to sleep the day
away. This is the main appeal of this plant; its a frog-magnet.

The downside is the white rubbery sap isnt all that appealling, but
thankfully it doesnt seem to be too much of a problem. Unlike the
monster caustic soda bush (about 6 metres high) in the back yard.

My question is; does anyone know of a Native Australian tree or shrub
that has similar leaves to the african milk bush? s there an
Australian version of this bush? I'd like to start planting something
that is as attractive to the frog guild.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Old 25-01-2006, 12:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Rod Out Back wrote:

The reason we like it? it has largeish waxy leaves that are bright
green. The green tree frog guild think it's THE place to sleep the day
away. This is the main appeal of this plant; its a frog-magnet.

The downside is the white rubbery sap isnt all that appealling, but
thankfully it doesnt seem to be too much of a problem.

Except that it's poisonous to stock and small children, as well as a bit
caustic!

Unlike the
monster caustic soda bush (about 6 metres high) in the back yard.

So who was organising the poisonous plant arboretum at your place?!

My question is; does anyone know of a Native Australian tree or shrub
that has similar leaves to the african milk bush? s there an
Australian version of this bush? I'd like to start planting something
that is as attractive to the frog guild.

Hmmm, I'd be contacting your local Australian Plants Society people, and
possibly Landcare and Greening Australia, because what I'd suggest for Sydney
would probably not suit your area.

This article is about gardening in Hughenden -- if you are on black soil,
perhaps you could look at some of these species -- particularly Hibiscus
tiliaceus:

http://www.sgapqld.org.au/article6.html

Let us know what you decide on!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 25-01-2006, 12:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
Rod Out Back

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:17:39 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

In article ,
Rod Out Back wrote:

[...]

Toxic bush collection seems to have been something my grandmother
started many years ago. Maybe she didnt like grandchildren!
Thankfully, with the exception of the monster Caustic soda bush, we
have cleaned most of them out over time. I think the milk-bush is much
later, but it lurks in a hard-to-reach part of the garden, so doesnt
cause any problems to the (few) visiting kids. The frog guild reckon
it's pretty darn fine!

The one saving grace of the Caustic Soda Bush/tree/behemoth is that
about 10 species of bird have raised countless generations of chicks
in its banches. it is a very social tree, and so has survived many
thoughts of bulldozing... It's not able to spread here, so is well
contained.

Thanks for the link; Hughenden is right on the edge of the same soil
type as we have here, so I'll have a look at it in the morning.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really. Ron sci.agriculture 88 21-07-2003 07:22 AM
Wanted: African bush-daisy / Gamolepis chrysanthemoides SEEDS Dave Gardening 0 09-06-2003 07:32 PM
Wanted: African bush-daisy / Gamolepis chrysanthemoides seeds Dave Gardening 0 09-06-2003 07:32 PM
plants on milk crates Dennis Ponds 8 25-04-2003 06:20 PM
Milk for powdery mildew Someone Gardening 13 24-04-2003 03:20 PM