Old 27-01-2006, 07:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Can any one identify this plant

Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible
Old 31-01-2006, 09:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

We need a bit more detail, or a photo posted to a website.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

We need a bit more detail, or a photo posted to a website.

Its basically a stalk, with smallish grape like orange fruit (4 inches
along top of stalk (1 inch in diameter) on it. I tried uploading the
picture but it wont accept it here it seems.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

I have the same plant, but no idea what it is. I'm hoping someone can
identify it for us. Your description is spot on, there's nothing useful
I can think of to add, except that it's a weird looking critter and it
doesn't look edible to me.

I'll get a photo and post it, if I can work out how to do it...

Jonno wrote:

Old 02-02-2006, 01:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:

I have the same plant, but no idea what it is. I'm hoping someone can
identify it for us. Your description is spot on, there's nothing useful
I can think of to add, except that it's a weird looking critter and it
doesn't look edible to me.

I'll get a photo and post it, if I can work out how to do it...

Jonno wrote:

Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead
like fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

We need a bit more detail, or a photo posted to a website.

Its basically a stalk, with smallish grape like orange fruit (4
inches along top of stalk (1 inch in diameter) on it. I tried
uploading the picture but it wont accept it here it seems.

Had another look and the "fruit" stem whare it attaches to the stem is
ofset a few degrees ie a slight angle. The orange beads are in a cluster
about 3/8 of an inch 0r 10 mm in diameter each. The beads seperate and
looks like theyre attractive to birds. (possibly expains the fact
theyre all over the place. Very ripe at this time of year, so are the
birds. Carwash here we come again...

Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

We need a bit more detail, or a photo posted to a website.

Its basically a stalk, with smallish grape like orange fruit (4 inches
along top of stalk (1 inch in diameter) on it. I tried uploading the
picture but it wont accept it here it seems.

Newsgroups won't take pictures (unlees they're picture-specific newsgroups).
You need to upload it to a free website and give us the URL.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Jonno writes:
Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

The berries look very tempting, but are not edible AFAIK. No birds eat
them here. What birds have you seen eating them?

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

Squash one and you'll see dozens of tiny seeds.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

John Savage wrote:
Jonno writes:

Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

The berries look very tempting, but are not edible AFAIK. No birds eat
them here. What birds have you seen eating them?

We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

Squash one and you'll see dozens of tiny seeds.

I dont think Idid, I suspected they were eaten by birds.... The way they
spread.. All over the garden in different places...
Old 12-02-2006, 12:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Jonno writes:
John Savage wrote:
We have quite a few growing in out in our place and wonder how its
spreads, if its edible

Squash one and you'll see dozens of tiny seeds.

My guess is that the seeds are spread underfoot after you've trodden
on a fallen berry. Let me know if you see anything eating the berry
or the leaves. Nothing seems to touch them here.

It is an attractive little plant, bright orange fruit set against dark
foliage, but in the interests of the environment just make sure you don't
spread the seeds into bushland.

Old 13-02-2006, 10:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Jonno writes:
Can any one identify this plant. Its about a foot tall. Orange bead like
fruit and looks as if its edible. I live in Melbourne.

My Mum says she has always known them as ornamental chillies. But as
each berry is perfectly round and looks nothing like an elongated chilli
shape I doubt that that could be their correct name. I don't believe
these berries are edible.