Old 27-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
Greg William

Default Relocated palms

Hi,

I am in Sydney and have just (about 6 weeks ago)relocated some large Palms.

Apart from the burnt leaves due to the 45deg new years day ,they do seem to
be hanging in .

I am keeping them very ,very well watered ,Constantly moist and I am
using SealSol weekly.

My question is can I give them too much water? When should I give them some
fertilizer?

TIA

Greg

Old 27-01-2006, 11:57 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC

G'day Greg

While I'm no expert in relocating palms, our local council (a few years
ago) bought 100 year old palms from the Adelaide area and moved them to
town on low-loaders. When the trees were replanted, they had guy wires
to hold them in place because the trees were huge and matched some
originals growing within the CBD, but they also had a hose tied to the
trunk which trickled water constantly near the frond area and then
trickled down the trunk. This water was trickling for about 6-8 weeks
that I know of, but as I wasn't keeping a constant vigil it could have
been longer. So I'd suggest they can't have too much water as these
relocated trees look like they've been growing in the new location for
the last 100 years, instead of a couple of years.

Good luck with your relocated palms, I love them they seem because they
seem to give an area a relaxed atmosphere.
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 29-01-2006, 07:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Greg William

Thanks Bronwyn,

I just hear all this stuff about too much water and root rot etc,so I am
really not too sure which way to go.

They do seem to be hanging in there at the moment but I am giving them heaps
of water.

And yes I agree ,Palms do create a kind of relaxing atmosphere.

Greg

Greg William wrote:
Hi,

I am in Sydney and have just (about 6 weeks ago)relocated some large
Palms.

Apart from the burnt leaves due to the 45deg new years day ,they do seem
to be hanging in .

I am keeping them very ,very well watered ,Constantly moist and I am
using SealSol weekly.

My question is can I give them too much water? When should I give them
some fertilizer?

TIA

Greg

relocated newbie Flower Bobdew United Kingdom 5 08-09-2005 10:48 PM
Relocated to better neighborhood Frank Logullo Gardening 16 12-06-2004 04:03 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM