GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shade loving plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/11558-re-shade-loving-plants.html)

brainspace 24-03-2003 09:32 PM

Shade loving plants?

Go to the website for the Australian Plant Society (Vic)
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~sgapvic/and follow the links to various pages on
plants and their requirements. Alternatively follow the links to the Vic
website and contact your local APS group. They will be able to give you very
good advice on what exactly suits local conditions and what has worked for
members in your area. The Vic eastern group is very large and active.

There is a link to the Aust National Botanic Gardens
http://www.anbg.gov.au/anbg/ as well where you will find much info on plant
suitability/growing conditions.
Also check out your library for a copy of "Grow what were" or Wrigley and
Fagg's "Aust plants for gardens and cultivation" . If you join your local
group they will have an extensive library for member's use.You will most
likely find the two above books in the library.
You could also join this online group.

I am trying to find suggestions for shade loving plants - not complete

shade
but mainly.

I'm after something (Australian native preferably) up approx 1 metre wide

&
high, to underplant our tall 'privacy giving' trees.

I'm located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Thanks
JB

David Lee 27-03-2003 11:32 AM

Shade loving plants?

Azelaes? They prefer shade.

Andrea Iles 28-03-2003 01:56 AM

Shade loving plants?

Although not an australian native(I dont think) I would recommend
Hellebores(winter rose)

Chookie 28-03-2003 07:08 PM

Shade loving plants?

In article ,
"JB" wrote:

I am trying to find suggestions for shade loving plants - not complete shade
but mainly.

I'm after something (Australian native preferably) up approx 1 metre wide &
high, to underplant our tall 'privacy giving' trees.

I second the suggestion of Grow What Where.

Don't forget ferns!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish 28-03-2003 07:32 PM

Shade loving plants?

In article , JB wrote:
I am trying to find suggestions for shade loving plants - not complete shade
but mainly.

I'm after something (Australian native preferably) up approx 1 metre wide &
high, to underplant our tall 'privacy giving' trees.

I'm located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Lomandra longifolia grows pretty much anywhere. Mature plants have
about the dimensions you suggest. Interplant with some kind of
clumping iris for additional colour.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.