GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Difference in young Washingtonia Palms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/11781-difference-young-washingtonia-palms.html)

John B. 27-03-2003 01:44 AM

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms

I was wondering how to tell the difference between a W. Robusta and a W.
filifera in my garden. They are only some 1.5 metres high at the moment.
(bird poop palms) ?

Any help appreciated - I want to keep the W. robusta species.

--
John B.
Adelaide,

len brauer 27-03-2003 02:56 AM

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms

g'day john,

the only way i know is the 'w.filifera' aka american cotton palm has
those white thread like material hanging from the fronds.

hope this helps a bit

len

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:06:58 +1030, "John B."
wrote:

I was wondering how to tell the difference between a W. Robusta and a W.
filifera in my garden. They are only some 1.5 metres high at the moment.
(bird poop palms) ?

Any help appreciated - I want to keep the W. robusta species.

--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

John B. 27-03-2003 11:56 PM

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms

Hi Len,

"Cotton like threads" - thats a great suggestion!

Do you know if young plants say, 0.6 to 1.5 metres show these "cotton like
threads" ?

Thanks again.

--
John B.
Adelaide,

len brauer 28-03-2003 01:56 AM

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms

g'day john,

when i have bought them they have always had the threads as that is my
best way of identification some will have more thread that others. the
cotton palm always seems to be the more popular of the 2 there being
only 2 species in this group of palms as the good book says.

len

snipped