Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Loosecannon

Default Agapanthus

Sue wrote in message

I am going down to our old home in Perth in mid April - I intend to
split some of the agapanthus I had been growing there and relocate them to
Karratha. I will be interested to see if the seeds from the agapantus I
have grown down there have come up, as just before I left I distributed

them
all around the front garden! (seemed like a good idea at the time)

I had brought a couple of plants up here with me when we relocated

early
December, unfortunately they are failing to thrive and seem to be

teetering
on the brink of dying. I actually dug them back up to see if they where
suffering root rot because they look very yellow. I was pretty much right
about that - fortunately there where a couple of roots starting to shoot
from close to the plants above the rotted area. I removed the plants from
the garden bed and placed them in a pot with good potting mix in an

attempt
to revive them.

Our soil up here is heavy clay - I have added bags of cow manure,
watered with Seasol and Powerfeed, and spread a good covering of a

"mushroom
and pig manure" (I was told at the nursery it was this mixture??) compost
over the top. The temperatures are always in the high 30's to 40's at

from
October through April and so we water every day sometimes twice. Our

water
supply is high in calcium to the point where you can see the white water
marks on the plants leaves. I brought Cannas up with me and they are
performing excellently in the same garden bed.
Any suggestions on my agapantus, this is probably the last chance I will
have to access the ones I have grown as the house is on the market. Once

it
is sold I will have to start paying for them!!

Thanks Sue Karratha.

Hi Sue,

I got stuck in Karratha for a week in January when the road to Port Hedland
got washed out.

My recollection of Karratha was that a week is to much when you don't know
anybody there and I kept my sanity by taking day trips up to Port Samson
which is such a cool place.

But I digress. I found Karratha to be a bit under planted and was expecting
better gardens there. I didn't realise it was clay (I only saw red dust and
rocks) and that is where your problem is with the agapanthis because it
loves free draining soil. In fact I think it grows better in Perth's metro
sand better than any other type of soil. You will need to make the drainage
better and the only way to do that is to incorporate gypsum into the soil.
If you have a bit of shade for them during the day they will green them up.
Karratha's sun is far more intense than Perth's. Under the canopy of a tree
would be best for them. Go for things like poinciana, mango or frangapani
they look like they would thrive there. I would think lemon grass would have
a good time in the climate too.

Anyway good luck.

Richard

Old 28-03-2003, 09:20 PM
alwynne mackie

They sound a good bit overfertilized to me!
Cheers,
Alwynne

"Sue" wrote in message

[...]

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 12:28 PM
Agapanthus Rob Webb Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:37 AM
Agapanthus Sue Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:37 AM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 07:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 07:11 AM