Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Roger Riordan

Default Little Red Chilllies

Linda wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a host of little red chillies - the cayenne and the siam. I was
wondering if anyone had any secrets for drying them - without a
dehydrator. Can I just thread them on sewing cotton with a needle and
thread and hang them up somewhere dry?? Or do I put them in a verrrrry
low oven for a while???

Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi Linda,

I just pop them in a plastic bag (the type you get from the greengrocer), twist
the bag closed, and put it in the freezer. When I want some I take one out,
slice off what I want, and put the rest back in the bag. Have just about
exhausted the 2000 crop of Jalapenos, so I'll have to buy some to tide me over
till next season. Also have a bag of habeneros, but they are too unpredictable.
Half a chillie may have no effect, or one slice may blow your head off.

Roger Riordan AM
Old 28-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Linda wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a host of little red chillies - the cayenne and the siam. I was
wondering if anyone had any secrets for drying them - without a
dehydrator.

In inner Sydney, you sometimes see a sheet spread out on the lawn with
chillies being dried on it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 28-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Linda

Hi Roger,

Thank you for that - I think those are a little larger than the ones I
am talking about, and fleshier. As I have some of them as well I might
try that with them.

Don't think I will dare taste test them though!

Thanks

Linda

Old 29-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:15:08 +1100, Linda
wrote:

I have a host of little red chillies - the cayenne and the siam. I was
wondering if anyone had any secrets for drying them - without a
dehydrator. Can I just thread them on sewing cotton with a needle and
thread and hang them up somewhere dry??

You sure can. Cayenne and Siam have thin fleshy walls, and they dry
qutie well on a string, so long as you have them in a reasonably dry,
airy spot.

Tara