Old 28-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Scott Brady

Default Splitting Tomatos

G'day all,

I have a penchant for growing old varieties of Tomatos.

At the moment I am growing a variety called "Tigrella".

It seems that a lot of the fruit that I pick are splitting.
Am I watering the poor little fella's too much, or could there
be another reason for this?

I am in the Dry Tropics of Northern Queensland. The tomatos have
been mulched heavily with Sugar Cane Mulch and I water them every
two days. Also the soil is a black clay which I have added sand too.

As this is a new garden bed I am in the process of creating compost
in order to ameliorate the clay soil and give in a better tilth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Scott and Tess Brady

Old 28-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Scott Brady wrote:

It seems that a lot of the fruit that I pick are splitting.
Am I watering the poor little fella's too much, or could there
be another reason for this?

If you are watering them regularly, it's funny that they're splitting. You
usually get splitting after heavy rain.

How long do you run the water for?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 28-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Scott Brady

Chookie wrote:

If you are watering them regularly, it's funny that they're splitting. You
usually get splitting after heavy rain.

How long do you run the water for?

I water them every two days. They are heavily mulched with sugar can mulch.

Usually run the water for about 15 minutes.

================================================== ===========================

Scott and Tess Brady

Old 28-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Tom Elliott

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:38:53 +1000, Scott Brady
wrote:

G'day all,

I have a penchant for growing old varieties of Tomatos.

At the moment I am growing a variety called "Tigrella".

It seems that a lot of the fruit that I pick are splitting.
Am I watering the poor little fella's too much, or could there
be another reason for this?

Hi.

I also grew a variety of tomatoes this year. Out of all the tomatoes
I grew, only the Tigerellas split (not all of them, about 20%).
Perhaps it's in their nature to do so.

Normally splitting is caused by not enough water, followed by a good
soaking, but I kept my garden moist throughout the growing season.

Tom

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.

Tomatos splitting H United Kingdom 11 18-10-2006 10:33 PM
tomatoes splitting Steve & Erin Gardening 4 08-08-2003 07:02 PM
Tomatoes skins splitting AussieResc Edible Gardening 4 23-07-2003 09:32 PM
Splitting Tomatos Anna Merchant Australia 0 27-03-2003 06:44 AM
splitting up wallflowers? Keith \(Portland\) United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 09:33 PM