Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Default Why is Nothing Growing

Good Afternoon

I hope you may be able to offer some comments on my lack of success with my
balcony garden.
For nearly two years I have tried growing simple annuals in long rectangular
plastic pots. I have used everything from cheap, to good trade name potting
soil.
Sunshine, good food, water, nothing makes any difference.
I buy strong, healthy seedlings from K-Mart but half don't grow and those
that do, offer four or five blooms then just seem to give up.
I have bought many dozens of plants, in about six different varieties, all
quite simple.
I have noticed that, when in despair, after a couple of months I pull them
out, the roots have just not grown at all.
What am I doing that is wrong ?

Would appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
rapdor

kathleen spencer wrote:

Good Afternoon

I hope you may be able to offer some comments on my lack of success
with my balcony garden.
For nearly two years I have tried growing simple annuals in long
rectangular plastic pots. I have used everything from cheap, to good
trade name potting soil.
Sunshine, good food, water, nothing makes any difference.
I buy strong, healthy seedlings from K-Mart but half don't grow and
those that do, offer four or five blooms then just seem to give up.
I have bought many dozens of plants, in about six different
varieties, all quite simple.
I have noticed that, when in despair, after a couple of months I pull
them out, the roots have just not grown at all.
What am I doing that is wrong ?

Would appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

It could be your karma, that'll do it every time. Think back, have you
ever killed a Chinaman?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Thank you Jonno.
Do not have transport and am nowhere near a Nursery plus finances run to
K-Mart only.
Have used good "Food" all trace elements incorporated, have also balanced
soil.
None of these things help.
Green plants grow like crazy but flowers, no way.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

"Jonno" wrote in message
rapdor wrote:
kathleen spencer wrote:

[...]

Er Chinamen maight make good compost, but thats a bit drastic.
Try adding some "trace" elements. Potting is not known for having a lot
of this in them. Also check the artificial soil for ph whether its
alkaline of acid.
By the way, K mart are known for their lack of advice. Suggest a local
nursery who can advice better than them. And it would be great to know
how you do. Also, a timed watering system is of help here.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Rapdor said
It could be your karma, that'll do it every time. Think back, have you
ever killed a Chinaman?

It's either that or I'm holding my mouth the wrong
way:-)
Kate

Old 12-02-2006, 01:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
zorrro

What about adding Potash ?. I've had sucess with it when all was green and
no flowers in sight.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Did try that as it was something my sister recommended, didn't help.
I can't understand why the roots don't grow.

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate the help.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

"zorrro" wrote in message

What about adding Potash ?. I've had sucess with it when all was green

and

no flowers in sight.

Sounds like position (maybe) Are they facing the sun? Anything that
grows gets at least the morning sun. Watering is also important. Are
they drying out? Are they too wet?
What are you trying to grow?

Old 12-02-2006, 02:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

"zorrro" wrote in message

What about adding Potash ?. I've had sucess with it when all was green

and

no flowers in sight.

Sounds like position (maybe) Are they facing the sun? Anything that
grows gets at least the morning sun. Watering is also important. Are
they drying out? Are they too wet?
What are you trying to grow?

After learning all about computers, flowers are easy. Just follow this link.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

or here http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/

And use google if you have more problems. It may be too much fertilizer
as well.

Try a cheap potting mix without fertilizer...Then use aqausol or similar
to feed it. Easy to control what you add then. Put some cucumbers or
tomatoes in the soil you have now and see whar develops...
Old 13-02-2006, 05:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Thank you for all these midnight thoughts.

Re Computers, don't get me started.

Will try the links you have provided.
Growing simple things like Petunias, Marigolds, the Cineraria grew quite
nicely.

Will put in some tomatoes and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

"Jonno" wrote in message

"zorrro" wrote in message

What about adding Potash ?. I've had sucess with it when all was

green

and

no flowers in sight.

Sounds like position (maybe) Are they facing the sun? Anything that
grows gets at least the morning sun. Watering is also important. Are
they drying out? Are they too wet?
What are you trying to grow?

Just a thought at midnight, you have good drainange in the pots eg
holes and pebbles to allow excess water to drain?

Old 13-02-2006, 07:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"kathleen spencer" wrote:

I hope you may be able to offer some comments on my lack of success with my
balcony garden.
For nearly two years I have tried growing simple annuals in long rectangular
plastic pots. I have used everything from cheap, to good trade name potting
soil.
Sunshine, good food, water, nothing makes any difference.
I buy strong, healthy seedlings from K-Mart but half don't grow and those
that do, offer four or five blooms then just seem to give up.
I have bought many dozens of plants, in about six different varieties, all
quite simple.
I have noticed that, when in despair, after a couple of months I pull them
out, the roots have just not grown at all.
What am I doing that is wrong ?

My first thought is that I have NEVER EVER seen a strong healthy seedling in a
K-Mart. I have seen a lot of horribly pot-bound ones (apart from the ones
that just haven't been watered, and then there were the ones that had been in
a/c and were freezing to death!). When you plant your seedlings, are there
lots of roots showing around the edges when you take it out to plant? Is the
plant taller than the punnet is deep?

Try some seeds instead. Bear in mind that the wind/sun/shade problems on
balconies tend to make them very harsh environments.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
least a two-tooth!"
Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.

Old 13-02-2006, 08:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Yes, I must say some have been pot-bound and some languishing but then with
the "healthy" looking ones, three or four out of one punnet will grow long
enough to produce a few flowers and the rest just sit and sulk.

The seeds I planted were so weak and fragile that after about 8 weeks they
could hardly stand up.
I think I have to accept that when it comes to flowers I am sudden death.
I will try tomatoes as was suggested.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

Old 13-02-2006, 10:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown

Coming in late on this thread, but I can say I grew a lovely balcony
garden when I was at Uni and I did it in K-Mart potting soil and
cast-off greengrocer's styrofoam boxes.

Tips I can sha

If this is your first garden and you're watching it daily (as I did),
resist the temptation to overwater. It's better to use some kind of
mulch (I used shredded paper, but you could use straw or hay or even
well-rotted leaves/grass clippings).

The K-Mart soil is OK, but would benefit from the addition of some
well-rotted horse-poo if you can get it. Lots of others prefer cow- or
chook-poo, but I like horse because it contains so much fibrous
material. It rots down to make really nice soil! (I got mine from the
racecourse... the horse-poo, that is...)

Are the containers getting enough sun? That might be a reason for your
depressed shoot-growth and increased root-growth. You could try hanging
baskets or standing containers up on something to expose them a bit more?

Take note of what you're planting. Don't fill a trough with a huge,
greedy planting of, say, cinerarias and then add little, vulnerable
things like pansies. IIRC, I had a perfectly lovely show of stocks with
pansies in front. Another pot had 'Bijou' sweet peas and a miniature
rose. Yet another had cherry tomatoes (growing up a bit of old plastic
lattice) and a pumpkin vine that spilled over the balcony and threatened
those walking in the cloister below! LOLOLOLOL! Oh, and the strawberries
were *great*! I carefully put sheets of paper (old essays) beneath the
fruit as they ripened and the plants grew like mad!

A hint for a pretty spilling-over balcony plant: White clover! It will
riot over a balcony or out of a hanging basket, smells like honey and
gives you a lovely bridal-veil of huge creamy flowers. Omit this if
you're not big on bees, though. They'll come from miles around!

Oh yes, and one more thing! Drainage! If your balcony is sunny, it could
be that your soil will dry out very quickly. Using mulch is good, but it
might also be an idea to line your pots or troughs with a thick layer of
newspaper (into which you've punched a few big holes). This will help
prevent water from running straight out.

Hah! And the last thing (sorry to be so long-winded) is to ask your
nursery supplier for some plant hormone powder. You don't want the
rooting hormone (gibberellic acid), it's the other one (whose name I
temporarily disremember) you're after. It will promote shoot growth to
balance out what the roots are doing.

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 14-02-2006, 09:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

All sounds wonderful Trish and if were not studying Horticulture, then you
should have been.

In answer to all who were kind enough to respond.

There is plenty of sunshine, pots have good drainage, nothing is crowded and
as the roots just don't grow there is no likelihood of that happening.
I don't think I am over watering as there was a time when I could be relied
upon to kill any plant in site by drowning it
I now poke my finger in the soil to test for dryness.

I did not buy anything today as I was pressed for time and I wanted to apply
the advice you all gave before I choose my next victims, including tomatoes.

My thanks to all

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

Old 14-02-2006, 07:18 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

kathleen spencer wrote:
[...]

Ah sounds good. Victims! You dont test for dryness. You test for
moisture. (youre either an optimist or pessimist)(grin!) The best
gardeners look what grows, and picks the plants that are the best
survivors, after a while you can mix in some of those which didnt make
it last time. I found hoyas to be great too on balconies Morning sun
only though. They faint with hi temp noon sun/wind.
Try a few succulents too and graduate from there. Tomatoes, can grow
well, as can cucumbers. You dont need containers, just cut the "5 tick"
potting mix bag open, plant the tomatoes, and make sure you put some
drain holes at the side and bottom (make sure the drain holes work
too)Keep them Wet, you have to water regularly. I have found the very
thin plastic tubing we used for craft years ago to be great for keeping
water on plants. you need to play with height of supply to get nice slow
drip but it works. Fill up the main container of water and add liquid
fertiliser occasionally.
Youve almost got a hydroponic system going. Er be carefull what you
grow...Some things are 'ighly illegal...(grin)No hints...
Good luck and most of all make it fascinating and observe. Its all great
fun and relaxing...
PS I worked with Pete C from the ABC and tought him how to work...B4 he
became famous.
He wasnt a garderner then.
Old 17-02-2006, 02:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Pleased to be able to help.

kathleen spencer wrote:
It was nice to visit here, I will let you all know what (being positive)
grows.
Kate

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...