GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fungus in Sydney garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/12199-fungus-sydney-garden.html)

Richard Wright 29-03-2003 03:20 PM

fungus in Sydney garden

Can anybody out there put names to two species of fungus that are
growing after the recent rain?

They are growing on clay in light eucalypt woodland in the western
suburbs of Sydney. I have never seen them before, now can I find them
in the rather inadequate literature I have on Australian fungus.

Both are obviously of the boletus type, with spongy gills.

The uppermost one is ochreous yellow all over, has a reticulately
cracked cap. The flesh stains blue on bruising, and on exposure to
air.

The lower one is a reddish brown all over, including the spongy gills.
The flesh is pure white and does not stain (the piece on the right is
a segment broken out of the whole).

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~richwrig/fungus.jpg