Old 31-03-2003, 12:08 AM
John Savage

Default radish for all seasons

In her recent gardening column in the SMH "Good Weekend" magazine of Sat,
March 15, 2003 Cheryl Maddocks writes about radishes. I'll precis some of
what she has to say as it might be of interest to others in this group.

There exist a wide range of radishes and Kings Seeds (02-4776 1493) have
many. 'Gourmet Blend' for example, has 10 varieties including bi-colours
and black. 'Round Black Spanish' is a winter radish, with black skin and
white flesh, that has an edible root 7.5-10cm in diameter. [I wonder how
long would that take to grow?] The daikon or Japanese radishes are often
served finely grated in soy sauce as an accompaniment to tempura. Daikon
radishes are also eaten steamed or in stir-fries, and are favourites for
pickling. 'Aomaru-koshin' is a popular Japanese radish with a green skin
and a reddish purple centre that spreads into its white flesh. It looks
far too good to eat! There are also European radishes with edible pods
such as 'Munchen Bier". Its peppery seed pods can be boiled lightly or
eaten raw in salads and stir fries, and it large roots may also be eaten.
The 'Rat-tailed' radish is sown in spring, and while its radish-flavoured
pods are harvested to flavour dishes, the roots are not eaten.

It would be interesting to hear of about the time to maturity for these.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 01-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Dwayne

I have grown the Japanese Daikon, but don't know the maturity time for sure,
but I think it is 60 days. I know that, for best results, you don't plant
them until the end of June or first of July, and are harvesting them in
September. They are big. I never weighed one but I am sure that they can
reach 1 kilogram. The longer you leave them in the ground, the bigger they
get up to a point, but they will also get hotter if you go over the maturity
date.

If you don't leave them in the ground too long, they can be milder tasting
than your normal red radish. They also will last quite a while in the
refrigerator.

I suggest that radish lovers try them once. I think you will be impressed.

Dwayne

om...