Old 23-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Exclamation moss growth

Hello everyone

I hope that you can help me
I need to find out urgetnly how long does the moss grow - the usual moss that grows on the roofs and for what period
I searched all over the internet but I could find the info. the only thing I`ve found was that moss can grow 4-6 inches, but it didn`t say for what period of time?

Please help

Many thanks in advance
Old 24-02-2006, 03:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

Default moss growth

In article ,
nelli wrote:

I need to find out urgetnly how long does the moss grow - the usual
moss that grows on the roofs and for what period

When's the school project due, kiddo?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
least a two-tooth!"
Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
China

G'day Nelli,
If it's growing on your roof then it is probably a
'lichen', not a true moss. Lichen is a symbiotic relationship between two
other species. I think its a moss and a bacteria working together, forming a
colony of very tough plant material that seems to survive most extremes that
neither species could have survived alone, but I'm not sure which species,
so you 'Google it'. It has been postulated by several experts in the field
that a lichen colony in the alpine regions could turn out to be the oldest
living 'organism' on the planet. Lichens is a bluish-green feathery thing
you will often find on rooftops, rocks, and the south side of older trees,
and you pay extra for it when you buy 'bush rocks'. Calm down and smell the
moss!..and lichen...and the roses. ;-)

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 24-02-2006, 06:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

China wrote:

[...]

Yes youre right, but try and answer the question!
Its very difificult to try and get the answer it seems.
Ive tried to find out as well.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
China

Default p.s. ...if you meant how long can a piece of moss grow...

G'day again,
The largest (and therefore, the potentially longest)
mosses I know of are the 'spagnums', as in ancient bogs and now used in
potting mixes. It is my understanding that theoretically, (and presuming
good conditions),they can grow forever from the leading shoot, even as their
'roots' compost into history. They were commonly used in both horticulture
and medicine for their anti-septic qualities, hence the bogs and the ancient
artifacts that are found there. I personally have seen 'branches' of spagnum
moss over a meter long, and I then cut it up, dried it, and added it to
orchid and fern potting mixes with good results. While the classic spagnum
bogs are in Europe, I understand there are several in Aus. that National
Parks has no intention of advertising.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 24-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Thank you all for the info
I know I might have sounded a bit alien, but I know nothing about gardening
And Chookie - it`s not a school project
My boss asked me to do a search on the net because we have moss on the roof so I thought the best way is to ask here
Thanks a lot guys
Old 28-02-2006, 11:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
nelli wrote:

And Chookie - it`s not a school project
My boss asked me to do a search on the net because we have moss on the
roof so I thought the best way is to ask here

Your *boss* wants to know how long moss grows?!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:19 PM posted to aus.gardens
Roger Dewhurst

"China" wrote in message

G'day Nelli,
If it's growing on your roof then it is probably a
'lichen', not a true moss. Lichen is a symbiotic relationship between two
other species. I think its a moss and a bacteria working together, forming

colony of very tough plant material that seems to survive most extremes

that
neither species could have survived alone, but I'm not sure which species,

A fungus and a unicellular alga. Sometimes, but rarely, the fungus exists
independently. If it does it looks nothing like the lichen.

moss growth nelli North Carolina 1 01-03-2006 12:52 AM
moss growth nelli Texas 2 24-02-2006 09:19 AM
moss growth nelli United Kingdom 3 23-02-2006 05:56 PM
moss growth nelli Gardening 1 23-02-2006 04:25 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 04:59 PM