Old 24-02-2006, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Default Organic control of pear and cherry slug

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents as
a gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator, so
she asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling pear
and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Cath
Old 24-02-2006, 09:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents
as a gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator,
so she asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling
pear and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Cath

Day Cath,
Goolged again and came up with Cehmical and others.Wood ash seems to work..
http://www.usyd.edu.au/macleay/larvae/none/slug.html
http://extension.usu.edu/files/gardpubs/insects.htm

Dipel is as close as youre going to get using an organic control. Its a
bioagent Its kills grubs (and these slugs?), which these appear to be
the rpoblem
Its a kind of disease which wont affect us but kills the bugs. Dipel is
a "safe" control agent. (that word means strange chemical )
Anyway its very affective and you need to read the instrictions for
complete details. Ive used it to kill White cabbage moths
Works if you apply it when you firts see the damage and butterflies.
Old 24-02-2006, 10:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Ruth Lawrence

"HailtotheDuck" wrote in message
u...

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents as a
gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator, so she
asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling pear
and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Thumbtacking scotchbrite scourer pads in a complete ring all around the
trunk is said to work: they won't crawl past it.

Ruth

Old 25-02-2006, 12:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Ruth Lawrence wrote:
"HailtotheDuck" wrote in message
u...

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents as a
gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator, so she
asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling pear
and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Thumbtacking scotchbrite scourer pads in a complete ring all around the
trunk is said to work: they won't crawl past it.

Ruth

Thank you both. I'm seeing my sister today so I'll pass on what you've
suggested. She lives in Kensington (inner Melbourne) near where the old
stockyards were, and she has the most wonderful healthy productive
garden. I think it grows so well because she's a gifted and dedicated
gardener, but she reckons it's because it's growing in 100 years worth
of horse manure. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, thanks.