Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Betty Joyner

Default pyrostegia iigea

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in Victoria I can get this vine
(also known as Flame Vine, orange flowered stephanotis, it is a 20ft
creeper, flowers in winter), and I have only seen it in warm climates like
Queensland, but I have a spot that I would like to try and grow it ,(facing
north, and frost free area) I tried last year to get one, without luck and
wrote to a nursery that had it on their website but they didnt reply.
Hoping someone can advise me please
Betty

Old 02-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Geodyne

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:49:07 +1000, "Betty Joyner"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in Victoria I can get this vine
(also known as Flame Vine, orange flowered stephanotis, it is a 20ft
creeper, flowers in winter), and I have only seen it in warm climates like
Queensland, but I have a spot that I would like to try and grow it ,(facing
north, and frost free area) I tried last year to get one, without luck and
wrote to a nursery that had it on their website but they didnt reply.

Pyrostegia venusta is very commonly available in nurseries, and is
what I have always seen grown in NSW. It's also called the Orange
Flame Vine. I'm not sure about P. iigea, but could that be an
acceptable substitute? The description sounds abot the same.

This is a very pretty vine for covering unsightly fences and buildings
BTW. The flowers are quite common in Sydney in winter and are quite
spectacular.

Tara

Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Betty Joyner

thank you for your reply, but it is not commonly available in Victorian
Nurseries, we are probably too far south, and it could be hit and miss
whether it can stand our cold winters, but I would like to try it. Thanks.
Betty