Old 05-04-2003, 12:32 AM
peep

Default Whipper Snippers

Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for a Whipper Snipper. I have Ryobi on loan
at the moment. It starts well enough, but it goes through nylon cord like
there is no tomorrow and the "bump and feed" line system is absolutely
hopeless. I also borrowed a Tanaka that didn't have "bump and feed" and I
did my entire block with only 1 peice of cord, but it was a pain to start.

Can anyone with some experience in this area recommend a Snipper? Doesn't
need to be too flash. Something that starts easily and isn't a pain in the
line cord area. I am not interested in an electric model so petrol models
only please.

Many Thanks.

P.S. Edgers like the Atom are no good to me because I have rock edges

Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 AM
len brauer

stick to the straight shaft line trimmers they are moer versatile.
some good brands: stihl, echo, jonsered etc. there are now 4 stroke
models which should make them even more reliable and less smokier and
quieter. for the average yard you will need an engine size of around
25cc's. i've had my jonsered (with a mitsubishi motor) for about 10
years now it is still just as easy to start and just as reliable.

best bet go to a specilaist shop one that sells mowers and chain saws
etc.,. as they also provide after sales service they generally sell
the better brands.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 05-04-2003, 08:08 AM
telstra

bunnings have an inexpensive ryobi electrical powerful 800 watts no
starting problems not as loud but pleanty of go.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Andrew G

"peep" wrote in message
Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for a Whipper Snipper. I have Ryobi on loan
at the moment. It starts well enough, but it goes through nylon cord like
there is no tomorrow and the "bump and feed" line system is absolutely
hopeless. I also borrowed a Tanaka that didn't have "bump and feed" and I
did my entire block with only 1 peice of cord, but it was a pain to start.

SNIP
I still have a Ryobi Grass Scorpion, which I bought probably around 10yr ago
when I still lived at home.
Not a problem with it engine/power wise, except for the rate at which it
goes through cord. It's beyond a joke now.
The bump feed is also a pain if you have any slight hiccup in rewinding the
line.
That has 2mm thick line, so definitely don't get any that takes that size
line, it has to be bigger.

We use Stihls at work, and also did on the council. If you ask me you can't
go past them for comfort and reliability.
No bump feed head, but we have 2 types. One where you just cut your line to
a set length (say 30cm?), and feed it in. As the line gets short, feed in
another bit. It may sound like a hassle, but the thick line lasts for ages,
and with it having a centrifugal clutch you can do it with the engine
running.
The other is where you roll on a heap of line, and when it gets short, you
turn a large wingnut by hand about 2 turns, and feed out more line, then do
it up.
Both are better than bump feed, and I'm guessing it's something like 4mm
line.
Not sure if stihl make 4strokes, but they would be more reliable, and
outlast the 2strokes. Perhaps Honda might be the go. Oh, and on another
note, make sure it's comfortable to use. I had to use Kubota (I think) brand
once, and it was terrible. In the end to do probably 30mins whippering I
drove 40mins return to get my own whipper rather than use the Kubota.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Bill McBride

FWIW I think that the rate of line use is determined by both the line brand
and the user. If you only use the tips of the line to do the cutting the
line lasts longer (IE. don't try and cut a 300mm wide path with every swipe
of the head). My wife seems to use the same line as me but at about 5 times
the rate. I have bought brand A line which lasted for ever and a day and
next bought brand B line which was useless. Normally I have lost/forgotten
what brand A was by the time I need more. Bigger diameter line = longer
lasting BUT = more horsepower to drive it through the air. Also FWIW I use
a big Honda brushcutter (handlebar model), love it.

--
Cheers

Bill

Old 22-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Tom Tulloch

I own a Jims Mowing franchise and I use a whipper snipper about 15 times a a
day. I have just bought a second one and that is a Honda 4 stroke straight
shaft with a heavy duty bump feed (yes there are grades). I also have a
Shindawa.

Both of mine are over 30cc and have given me few problems.

"peep" wrote in message
Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for a Whipper Snipper. I have Ryobi on loan
at the moment. It starts well enough, but it goes through nylon cord like
there is no tomorrow and the "bump and feed" line system is absolutely
hopeless. I also borrowed a Tanaka that didn't have "bump and feed" and I
did my entire block with only 1 peice of cord, but it was a pain to start.

Can anyone with some experience in this area recommend a Snipper? Doesn't
need to be too flash. Something that starts easily and isn't a pain in the
line cord area. I am not interested in an electric model so petrol models
only please.

Many Thanks.

P.S. Edgers like the Atom are no good to me because I have rock edges

any whipper-snipper experts here? John Savage Australia 16 30-04-2010 11:29 PM
whipper snipper Sandgroper Australia 19 13-05-2006 01:19 PM
whipper snipper problem mickfarrell United Kingdom 0 05-05-2004 10:30 PM
Which Line trimmer/whipper Snipper? PandA Australia 3 25-08-2003 05:42 AM
Line Trimmer/Whipper Snipper Advice Digger Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM