GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pepper Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13047-re-pepper-plants.html)

Tara Deen 05-04-2003 06:32 AM

Pepper Plants

Dick Adams wrote:

Are Habenaros grown in OZ? Where is the best area for growing
them? Is there any area in OZ with four seasons?

Well, they are in my backyard.

Australians have only really begun to discover habs in the last year or
two. While they're still not common, it is possible to buy them fresh in
small quantities at supermarkets now, so someone must be growing them
commercially.

A lot of Oz rarely if ever drops below 0C more than just overnight in
winter, and many places rarely if ever fall below 0, even overnight.
There are few bad places for growing peppers, although it takes special
management to grow them in Tasmania.

I have lived in a couple of places where my major pest was possums: and
they'd walk past my tomato plants to eat the habs, so they didn't do
much to discourage them!

Tara