GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   historical garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13050-re-historical-garden.html)

05-04-2003 06:32 AM

historical garden

Kate,

The all had vegetable gardens in the back yards
Thats work...
The times were such that growing your own produce was a must even on a small
suburban block. Food shortages, during and after the depression and during
the war years, meant most people grew a decent quality of their own
vegetabls. Such things as 'Butter on the black market.', which I know my
grandmother sold, chooks in the back yard, were normal. And i bet that is
NOT what you had in mind.. but thats what they were doing then.

The front yard of course looked formal, tending towards english style
gardens as a rule. Conifers, Rhododendrons, lots of hedging. Also a bit of
maintenance, as the hedges need to be kept in 'shape'.

Any garden is work.

"Kate Quirk" wrote in message
Hi ,

We are shortly moving to a 1930's "conventional" style house in Sherwood,
Brisbane, and are quite keen on creating a period garden. We're not
planning on any major landscaping, but would like to use the types of

plants
that would have been popular in the inter-war years. If anyone has any
suggestions, or knows of any reference sources, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

Chookie 05-04-2003 06:32 AM

historical garden

In article ,
"Kate Quirk" wrote:

We are shortly moving to a 1930's "conventional" style house in Sherwood,
Brisbane, and are quite keen on creating a period garden. We're not
planning on any major landscaping, but would like to use the types of plants
that would have been popular in the inter-war years. If anyone has any
suggestions, or knows of any reference sources, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Australian Houses of the '20s and '30s, by Peter Cuffley.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids