Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Bushy

Default Ducks

Many thanks for the input -

That's cool, I've lost count of the number of animals I've pulled out of
cattle troughs before I realised how easy it was to lean a stick in the
bathtub.

Peter

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Trish Brown

Bushy wrote:

Many thanks for the input -

That's cool, I've lost count of the number of animals I've pulled out of
cattle troughs before I realised how easy it was to lean a stick in the
bathtub.

Peter

Years ago, I had an aviary full of parrots with a couple of pairs of
King Quail who lived on the floor. One pair began to lay eggs and for a
long time, none hatched. I realised the other pair had been very
territorial and was hassling the brooding hen, causing her to leave her
nest. So, I put the breeding pair into another, smaller cage on a table
against a wall.

One morning, I went to feed my birds and peeked as usual into the
quails' nest. All the eleven eggs had hatched, but there was not a trace
of any chicks!!!! Where could they be? Had something eaten them? I
became aware of an almost supersonic, high-pitched squeak and after five
minutes of searching, I located it. There were seven of the tiniest
creatures you could *ever* imagine (about half an inch across,
buff-and-chocolate-striped little puffballs) all swimming around in the
dogs' bucket of water and peeping away with great joy!

Now, how and why these minute little things had made their way into the
dogs' bucket escapes me! They would have to have pushed their way
through the fine gauge wire of their cage and then plummetted from about
three feet into the bucket. Mum and Dad were mightily unconcerned and
more interested in their breakfast than in getting their offspring back.
I provided a swimming pool (baking dish of water) within the cage for
the quail chicks, but next morning, there they were again, sailing
around on the dogs' water, large as life. In the end, I had to put them
back into the bigger aviary with their own bucket sunk into the floor
and some chicken wire placed to provide a pool-ladder for exiting
safely. Who knows? Maybe my dogs might've thought they were doggy
treats and gobbled them all up? It was a miracle that they hadn't
already!

I raised all seven little quail to adulthood and then sold them. They
were enchanting pets and much more interesting than the other (Cinnamon
and BobWhite) quail I had kept...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

problem with ducks, geese & coons David Edible Gardening 7 02-07-2003 01:50 AM
Ducks and ponds? Larry Ponds 9 13-06-2003 03:56 PM
Answer: Ducks, Witches, Wood and my VF liner BenignVanilla Ponds 7 03-06-2003 05:20 AM
Ducks ~ jan Ponds 10 30-03-2003 02:32 PM
Ducks or turtles in Koi Pond? Joe Blow Ponds 3 10-03-2003 10:32 PM