Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gregory Toomey

Default Rosemary propagation?

I have a neighbour who has given me some rosemary for propagation. I
obtained the following from botanical.com:

"Cuttings, taken in August, 6 inches long, and dibbled into a shady border,
two-thirds of their length in the ground, under a hand-glass, will root and
be ready for transplanting into permanent quarters the following autumn"

Having never done this before, do I
- get say 6 inches of rosemary
- plant in potting mix 4 inches under the soil, 2 inches above the soil
- keep watering and hope for the best???

gtoomey

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gregory Toomey

guynewtown wrote in message ...
Hi,

I've had plenty of success with rosemary. It almost propagates itself. I
just take a cutting (3 inches is enough), strip about the bottom inch and a
half and poke it into some moist potting mix. No need for rooting powder or
anything fancy.

Good luck,

Andrew

Thanks. I suspect it would grow well here in Queensland with minimal effort.

gtoomey

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Andrew G

"Gregory Toomey" wrote in message
.. .
I have a neighbour who has given me some rosemary for propagation. I
obtained the following from botanical.com:

"Cuttings, taken in August, 6 inches long, and dibbled into a shady

border,
two-thirds of their length in the ground, under a hand-glass, will root

and
be ready for transplanting into permanent quarters the following autumn"

Having never done this before, do I
- get say 6 inches of rosemary
- plant in potting mix 4 inches under the soil, 2 inches above the soil
- keep watering and hope for the best???

gtoomey

Hi there.

4 inches of a 6inch cutting underground, seems a lot. An inch, or 2 at the
most would be enough.
All up to you, but I would try more for the following.

Could use potting mix, but only if it's the good quality stuff. The stuff
with bits of bark and what not in it, is really too coarse. Even a good,
well drained soil will work. Other than that, seed raising mix works too.
Oh, a mix I have used is 4 parts coarse sand, one part peat moss. The coarse
sand being river sand.
Give whatever mix you use a good water before putting the cuttings in.

Ok, take the cuttings 6 inches long. Strip the bottom 4inches of leaves off.
Make sure the bottom cut is just below a node (where a leaf joins). Dip the
bottom of the cutting in a hormone powder (available at kmart), liquid, or I
have heard of vegemite being used. The hormone liquid will only help.

Make a hole in the mix using stick or pen, whatever, about an inch deep. Put
the cutting in the hole, packing the mix back around the cutting using the
stick. Don't over crowd them in one pot. Leave about 2inches between
cuttings.

You can use a litre soft drink container, with the top cut off, and turned
upside down to cover them, or make one out of clear glad wrap/plastic. Put a
few holes in them for air flow too. To water, twice a day lift the cover,
and use a spray bottle to mist the cuttings and the soil. The plastic should
contain the moisture enough. You could water the soil by other means, but I
have found the misting method on the soil good. As long as the soil has been
watered well before the cuttings are put in, and that you mist it well.

Place them either outdoors, in filtered sun under a tree, or in a
shadehouse. Anywhere except full sun. If it gets real cold at night, bring
them inside.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gregory Toomey

Andrew G wrote in message ...
"Gregory Toomey" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've got lots of cuttings so I'll try everything!

gtoomey
Free historical ASX end-of-day data http://www.float.com.au/data

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM