Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Gabra

Default Cat Proof Plants and Worm Litters

"Larry in California" wrote in message
om...
Have you considered a plant from the mint family? There are the
regular mints that grow in shade and there are other mint family
plants that grow in the sun. These sun lovers include rosemary, sage,
and basil.

Larry

That's a good idea--I could also plant cat mint... wonder what these plants
are like with cat pee, though.

"Gabra" wrote in message

Hi all,

I'm in the process of converting the largish area under my pergola into

an
enclosure for my two (currently indoor) cats to live in. I'm closing it

off
with lattice and the plastic mesh used for climbing support. This place
includes two existing garden beds about 3/4 metre wide, 2-3 metres long
along the timber supports.

I don't like the current plants, which were put in by the previous

people,
so I'll be quite happy to get rid of them. Wondering if anyone has
recommendations for plants that can thrive in soil which, ahem, the cats
will be using? These areas are to the north of the pergola. I'm assuming
perhaps acid-loving plants?

Also, has anyone ever used those worm farms + pet litter trays

advertised in
gardening magazines? I'm tempted to put in some of these worms (are they

the
usual worm farm species of worms?), cover them over with mulch to keep

them
moist and away from the sun, in the hope that they'd help quickly

dispose of
kitty traces.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Gabra

"Heather Edwards" wrote in message
Think about stay off the garden granules which are available at pet stores
and garden centres. Heather.

I actually want them to use the beds, just not sure whether there are plants
that can take it. Actually, this tip is useful as there is another area I
want them to keep off.