GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Harvesting broccoli seeds. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13061-re-harvesting-broccoli-seeds.html)

Gregory Toomey 05-04-2003 06:32 AM

Harvesting broccoli seeds.

Tara Deen wrote in message ...
Kate Martin wrote:

Has anyone here harvested broccoli seeds?

Hi Kate,

Broccoli and the other cruciferous veggies are really easy to save seed
from.

I presume you can only do this for non-hybrid varieties?

gtoomey

Trevor Woods 05-04-2003 06:32 AM

Harvesting broccoli seeds.

On 17 Oct 2002 20:47:37 GMT, FarmerDill wrote:

I presume you can only do this for non-hybrid varieties?

gtoomey

Works for the hybrids as well, You can get get a wide er assortment of
broccoli varieties, some good, some not so good but all are viable. Hybrids
and most varieties of broccli fit into that category won't be true to the
original in subsequent generations, but if you like a mixture, no problem.

Someone told me years ago now, that they had saved seed from broccoli
they had grown, but the plants from that seed didn't form any head. I
had always assumed it was because the original plants were hybrids.

Trevor