Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gabra

Default king protea

Hi,

My King Protea, since it was planted from the nursery 2 years ago, has not
flowered once. I planted it with the fertiliser tablet as the nursery
suggested, and have only occasionally thrown some native garden osmocote on
it. It's sitting in slightly acidic sand, covered by mulch. I notice some of
the leaves have 'rust spots' on it and assume that this means an imbalance
of some sort?

Could someone help?

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Jane VR

Gabra wrote:
Hi,

My King Protea, since it was planted from the nursery 2 years ago, has not
flowered once. I planted it with the fertiliser tablet as the nursery
suggested, and have only occasionally thrown some native garden osmocote on
it. It's sitting in slightly acidic sand, covered by mulch. I notice some of
the leaves have 'rust spots' on it and assume that this means an imbalance
of some sort?

Could someone help?

Is it getting lots of sun?

How big is it? If it's still small, waiting another year might help.

Maybe take some spotty leaves to the nursery you got it from and ask
them if they look like a problem

Jane

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gabra

Thanks for your suggestions, Jane. My responses below:

"Jane VR" wrote in message
Gabra wrote:
Hi,

My King Protea, since it was planted from the nursery 2 years ago, has

not
flowered once. I planted it with the fertiliser tablet as the nursery
suggested, and have only occasionally thrown some native garden osmocote

on
it. It's sitting in slightly acidic sand, covered by mulch. I notice

some of
the leaves have 'rust spots' on it and assume that this means an

imbalance
of some sort?

Could someone help?

Is it getting lots of sun?

Yes, it gets full sun.

How big is it? If it's still small, waiting another year might help.

It's about 40 cm high, is that still too small?

Maybe take some spotty leaves to the nursery you got it from and ask
them if they look like a problem

Will do, if it still doesn't flower.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Gabra

"CT" wrote in message
Hi,
Plenty of sun and water. Surprisingly enough they like a good drink. If

it
is green and producing new growth don't add any more fertiliser. Don't

worry
about the leaves if all other things look OK.
They are really quite tough and would expect the plant to flower from this
year. Cut each flowering stem back within 30cm of the base after it

flowers
to encourage new shoots.
If you have the room look for other forms of this plant, narrow pointy
leaves indicate smaller blooms with larger bracts, large rounded leaves
tends to indicate bulky very large flowers.
Enjoy
CT

Thanks CT, good tips. It gets bore water from sprinkler system set to go off
every 3 days to run for 20 minutes. Maybe it's the same thing that bore
water does to cement LOL!

Aside from the rusty spottiness, it looks fairly healthy. I don't know what
it should look like, this is my first protea.

--
Remove Nospam_ from address to reply

protea pruning Don Australia 3 10-06-2006 12:47 PM
Protea cynaroides question Ford Prefect United Kingdom 7 27-09-2004 06:10 PM
protea's brian white Texas 0 17-07-2004 02:13 AM
flowering protea AJS Plant Science 3 21-10-2003 01:03 AM
Help!!! Bulbophyllum playing King of the Hill... Fran Kirby Orchids 1 05-04-2003 05:08 PM