Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
patc

Default Lillypilly

I have bought 3 'Szyzgium Leuhmanii'
Can anyone give me any idea how these plants behave?
I've got info from the nursery but I would like to compare their notes with people that actually have them growing.\
Thanks
Pat

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
J & A Haig

Hi Pat,

I have one that is 15-20 years old in an open situation in Brisbane. Height ca. 6m, width 2-3m, foliage almost to the ground, shape of rather uniform spread until just near the top (almost columnar). Flowers and fruits at least once per year but most rainforest spp tend to respond dramatically to conditions and even rain in mid-winter can cause an amazing flush of new growth - lovelly mauves, pinks, peach and purples for S. leuh. The shape and leaf density point to a very good hedging/screening plant. My location never gets frost and winter westerlies are somewhat screened. Otherwise, exposed to all the other brisbane elements including strong sea breezes. Pests are minimal with no real evidence of leaf pimpling seen in other spp. The fruits are a red to pink and dominate the appearance of the tree when in full fruit. The fruit on my plant is pleasant and mildly juicy though tart and aromatic. Acquired taste maybe but quite refreshing in summer.

Hope this helps, Jim