Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Chris Garvey

Default the great chilli famine of 2003

Graeme Gardiner wrote:
: Hi All.
: I wonder if anyone can help. I have become interested in chillies over the
: last few years and last year planted a heap of Jalapenos. They didn't
: germinate 'till Nov.This year I acquired a few varieties a and tried to
: germinate late Sep in pots outside. I planted some out in the garden. None
: germinated. I then planted some in a seed raising tray with Yates seed
: raiser, applied heat via a heat pad and controlled with a thermostat at 25
: deg. Up they came but refuse to grow. The crop from last year looks healthy
: enough but no flowers. I'm in Southern Sydney. They are in pots in sheltered
: positions as well as open.Any ideas?

two common problems with growing vege's in pots are too acid mix, and
somewhat related is maybe a lack of potassium. This seems unlikely
since the plants look healthy?

erastoothenes

--
(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
SG1

Graeme
Where did you get the seeds?? I want to grow Jalapenos but don't know where
to get seed. I figure the ones pickled in the jars won't grow!!!! Am in
South Qld 500ks west of Brissy.
Jim

"Graeme Gardiner" wrote in message
Hi All.
I wonder if anyone can help. I have become interested in chillies over the
last few years and last year planted a heap of Jalapenos. They didn't
germinate 'till Nov.This year I acquired a few varieties a and tried to
germinate late Sep in pots outside. I planted some out in the garden. None
germinated. I then planted some in a seed raising tray with Yates seed
raiser, applied heat via a heat pad and controlled with a thermostat at 25
deg. Up they came but refuse to grow. The crop from last year looks

healthy
enough but no flowers. I'm in Southern Sydney. They are in pots in

sheltered
positions as well as open.Any ideas?

Thanks

Graeme

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Chris Garvey

SG1 wrote:
: Graeme
: Where did you get the seeds?? I want to grow Jalapenos but don't know where
: to get seed. I figure the ones pickled in the jars won't grow!!!! Am in
: South Qld 500ks west of Brissy.
: Jim

try Eden seeds though they tend to vary a little in their viability.

erastothenes

--
(:

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
S. McLaren

Some chills require treatment before being planted. Nature for some reason
designed some chill seeds to be soaked in acidic water - I think its called
scarring? before they can be planted. In the wild, the birds or animals
would eat the chilli and they would be in the gut for awhile before being
pooped out. If you're going to do it without their help, heehee , maybe
you can put it in a plastic bag with water for a day or two before planting
it. IIRC, that was how it was demonstrated in one gardening show I watched.

You might like to try the smaller chillis called "chilli padi" - famous in
Malaysia, they are very very hot and grow quite well here in colder
climates.