GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green Light Bulbs - fluoro tubes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13078-re-green-light-bulbs-fluoro-tubes.html)

Bushy 05-04-2003 07:32 AM

Green Light Bulbs - fluoro tubes

Apart from the junk shops, a number of craft shops sell paint for painting
designs on light bulbs or glass. If you covered the bulb with this green
paint you will have green bulbs. You can often buy painted bulbs at markets,
get the seller to do a couple for you in green only.

Hope this helps,
Peter

"rapdor" wrote in message
Thanks for the illuminating lesson.

But I have apparently not made myself clear. We are going to grow the
seedlings in total darkness, ie., we do not want light for plant growth.
We want to exclude all light. But of course need to see what we are

doing.
Green light does not affect plant growth, so that's what we need. Such a
product does exist, I'm positive. But where to find it, that's the
question.

Andrew G 05-04-2003 07:32 AM

"Bushy" wrote in message
Apart from the junk shops, a number of craft shops sell paint for painting
designs on light bulbs or glass. If you covered the bulb with this green
paint you will have green bulbs. You can often buy painted bulbs at

markets,
get the seller to do a couple for you in green only.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Probably the option I'd go for too
I'm just wondering for the original poster. Are you doing this as an
experiment? I didn't know of any seedling that will grow successfully in
total dark, or is there something out there?? :-)

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

rapdor 05-04-2003 07:32 AM

Green Light Bulbs - fluoro tubes

I'm just wondering for the original poster. Are you doing this as an
experiment? I didn't know of any seedling that will grow successfully in
total dark, or is there something out there?? :-)

No, its not an experiment, its a commercial operation, growing tens of
thousands of avocado trees each year. But this is the first time doing the
etoliation (darkroom growth) on a large scale. That it works, and how it
works is established knowledge. Just sourcing the damn lights seems to be a
problem.

rapdor 05-04-2003 07:32 AM

Green Light Bulbs - fluoro tubes

No, its not an experiment, its a commercial operation, growing tens of
thousands of avocado trees each year. But this is the first time doing

the
etoliation (darkroom growth) on a large scale. That it works, and how it
works is established knowledge. Just sourcing the damn lights seems to be

problem.

I forgot to add that we grow avocado from seed in the dark (until the shoot
emerges) as a matter of course, thousands and thousands of the little
devils. By keeping them in the dark and at constant controlled temperature,
it reduces the germination time from several months to several weeks.

But this enquiry about the green lights relates to returning grafted
seedling (about 30 cm tall) to the darkrooms to clone additonal plants from
the grafted growth. Its all a bit space age, and I'm just a humble worker
in the whole process. It's very interesting work.