Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
watchcat

Default Albany Woolly bush

I'm smitten with the Albany Woolly Bush - adenanthos sericeus (not a bad
picture of a big one, here
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_...13426/015.html). Just can't
resist the silvery soft foliage and am hoping to use one as a Christmas
tree. Trouble is, I'm in Canberra and I've already had one of these things
die on me - I suspect it was the frost that got it. This time, I've got them
in pots, in 'australian native' potting soil. Has anyone had any experience
keeping these beautiful plants alive in a frosty climate? If so, tips
appreciated. Apart from wheeling them inside on frosty nights (ie, most of
the winter, here), is there any easy way to keep 2 or 3 pots protected from
frost?

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
veraphil

I have one near Albury NSW that has survived for 4 years so far. It has kept
going through at least a dozen -3 degree frosts, without any special
attention - although it is within a metre or so of a steel shed. One thing I
believe in with frost sensitive plants is to keep them well watered whenever
there is a possibility of frost. When I planted mine, it was only about 10cm
high and it is now over a metre though so far I have not had a good display
of flowers - but I am still hoping.
Regards
Phil.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
watchcat

Thanks all. I might try to construct a large cloche with plastic and stakes,
and keep them well watered in winter. Moving them closer to the brick wall
might help a bit too.

"veraphil" wrote in message
I have one near Albury NSW that has survived for 4 years so far. It has

kept
going through at least a dozen -3 degree frosts, without any special
attention - although it is within a metre or so of a steel shed. One thing

believe in with frost sensitive plants is to keep them well watered

whenever
there is a possibility of frost. When I planted mine, it was only about

10cm
high and it is now over a metre though so far I have not had a good

display
of flowers - but I am still hoping.
Regards
Phil.

Looking 4 excavating contractor with Rockhound, New Albany, IN Lyndell Thompson Lawns 1 13-05-2005 04:58 AM
Jerusalem Artichokes, Albany NY area, pickup only Gary Woods Edible Gardening 3 04-05-2004 03:06 PM
woolly bush, dead :-o Raels Australia 0 21-02-2004 01:39 AM
woolly bush, dead :-o Raels Australia 0 21-02-2004 01:18 AM
Hardy Lily Divisions, Albany NY area Gary Woods Edible Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:21 AM