Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Red Sky

Default Attaching shadecloth to an aluminium greenhouse

'Tis growing closer to a searing Canberra summer, and I'm tired of the
sagging length of shadecloth stretched accross the front of my
greenhouse. It's a couple of feet from the roof, and at best cuts the
heat and light but not as much as if it was protecting all of the
glass on that side. There has to be a neater way of attaching the
shadecloth, perhaps some sort of clip that would hold it reasonably
taut against the glass? Or might it be better to make a frame of
timber or pipe, and fix the shadecloth to that?

The lean-to greenhouse is aluminium framed, I'm reluctant to try
drilling holes into the metal for fear of cracking the long glass
panels.

What have other people done?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Andrew G

"Red Sky" wrote in message
'Tis growing closer to a searing Canberra summer, and I'm tired of the
sagging length of shadecloth stretched accross the front of my
greenhouse. It's a couple of feet from the roof, and at best cuts the
heat and light but not as much as if it was protecting all of the
glass on that side. There has to be a neater way of attaching the
shadecloth, perhaps some sort of clip that would hold it reasonably
taut against the glass? Or might it be better to make a frame of
timber or pipe, and fix the shadecloth to that?

The lean-to greenhouse is aluminium framed, I'm reluctant to try
drilling holes into the metal for fear of cracking the long glass
panels.

What have other people done?

Without seeing what it all looks like, then it's hard to tell.
Best thing to do, would be imagine what you may need to attach the cloth to
the aluminium, then go to your hardware store and give them a description.
You'd be suprised what thinghymajigs they have. Also, a good place for
fastener type systems, is the auto parts place. I know that Peps here have a
great range of fasteners that are used in cars for fixing wiring, carpet,
door trims etc etc.

If there is nothing, and you wanna fasten the cloth directly to the
aluminium? Check that the glass doesn't slot in to the aluminium too far.
i.e. if you need to drill, make sure there is no glass behind or between the
aluminium. If not, then drilling the aluminium alone should cause the glass
to crack. If you do drill, use self tappers, with a washer, straight through
the cloth. That way they can be easily undone.

But before the drilling option, I'd go for a wooden frame, same size as the
area you want to cover, with the cloth attached. Use some sort of stake or
star picket in the ground next to the glass for supports to hold the frame
(if possible). That will make it easy to pull down when needed.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
J & A Haig

Yes, a bit hard trying to visualise the structure, but one suggestion is to
get a tent made from shadecloth at your local canvas-maker. Just supply him
the measurements and where you want eyelets put in. Free-standing
glasshouses can then just be tented over with stakes tying it to the ground
(or eyebolts set into concrete). A lean-to glasshouse may require some
eyebolts fixed to the wall/bargeboard or whatever at the top, and
stakes/eyes at ground level.

Good luck, Jim