Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Simon Bailey

Default Pittosporum Eugenioides in Clay Soil

My wife and I have just declared that gardening is our hobby from now on.
Having made this tumultuous decision, we are looking at planting a hedge of
Pittosporum Eugenioides. We've dug a 60cm wide and deep trench in the
backyard. But we have found that our topsoil repels water like it's coated
with Scotchguard and our subsoil is quite clayey. I know that gypsum can
correct clay soil, but I also read that it doesn't work for all soil types.

Before we drop these babies in the ground, what should we do to the soil?

Will this hedge tolerate the clay soil untreated?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Simon Bailey

P.S. We are in Sydney area.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Simon Bailey" wrote:

My wife and I have just declared that gardening is our hobby from now on.
Having made this tumultuous decision, we are looking at planting a hedge of
Pittosporum Eugenioides. We've dug a 60cm wide and deep trench in the
backyard. But we have found that our topsoil repels water like it's coated
with Scotchguard and our subsoil is quite clayey.

The hardpan effect is due to drought. You can't really do much about it till
it rains, especially if we go on to water restrictions.

I know that gypsum can
correct clay soil, but I also read that it doesn't work for all soil types.

"Correction" is also rather limited. If you have clay soil, it's better to
learn to live with it than to try to change its nature. PUt your plants into
raised beds, and keep piling on organic matter.

Before we drop these babies in the ground, what should we do to the soil?

Just don't.

If you put them in the trench, when it (eventually) rains, that's where the
water will collect, and your pittosporums will drown. What you want is a
raised garden bed. If you want natives, particularly drought-resistant ones,
fill your trench with sandstone rubble and mound more rubble over it. Plant
into the rubble and mulch.

The second reason not to plant them is that generally, spring is not the time
to plant anything beyond annuals and summer herbs in Sydney. The summer is so
hot that plants that aren't well-established will cook -- doubly so this year,
given that we aren't supposed to get much rain in the next few months. Plant
perennials (shrubs, trees, and herbaceous perennials) in autumn instead.
Spend this summer planning.

Will this hedge tolerate the clay soil untreated?

No idea. Why did you choose this species?

Any other suggestions?

Read a general garden guide (eg Yates') and a few books on gardening to
broaden your knowledge. Think about what you want in your garden (cricket
with the kids? Hammock? Shade trees? Vegies?) over summer and stickybeak
locally to see what does well in the area.

Enjoy yourselves!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids