Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Water restrictions / Grey water / efficient drip feed system.

Well, looks like water restrictions are hitting melbourne soon. While
I realise this doesn't make a huge difference to me as I don't have a
lawn, and don't wash my car that often (I figure the dust layer acts
as an extra crash buffer). However, it seems that things will get
worse before they get better, so I'm making sure I have plenty of
water saving going on.

How safe is grey water to use on vegetables? My main source of this
will be the drain from the washing machine. Do the chemicals in the
detergents break down quickly? Should I alternate between garden beds
to spread it around?

I've also devised a gravity fed drip feed system for my vegies.
Nothing revolutionary, but it's probably worth sharing.

I use a plastic garden stake, to which I attach a 2 litre juice bottle
, upside down, about 1/2 a metre above the ground, From this I run
three plastic tubes, each with an adjustable dripper on the end, which
is positioned at the base of the plant. The drippers are about 60c
each.

I don't cut the whole base of the bottle off, leaving just a tiny bit
so that it remains as a lid, preventing debris getting into the lines
and causing a blockage.

Then, all that I have to do is top up the juice bottle with water, and
let it go. It takes about an hour to empty, and delivers the water
right to the base of the plant. So far, it seems to work well, and
it's a good candidate for grey water.

If anyone's interested enough to want more details, post a reply here
and I'll get some photos online.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Christopher

yes would be most interested in photos
but rather than posting here maybe you should stick em on a free webspace
with a url ?
or just email them to interestred parties ?

cheers

christopher

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Gabra

[...]

That sounds intriguing, would love to see photos, preferably at a website,
as I read from a text-only server.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
David Hare-Scott

"J & A Haig" wrote in message
u...

Generally, the best approach is to have a holding tank collecting the

bath ,
shower, handbasin and maybe the kitchen sink. This tends to even out

the
peaks of high chemical inputs, allows the alkaline water to slowly

absorb
CO2 and revert to a more acceptable pH, lets some of the greases

congeal
around the tank, and some of the solids settle out. You can see that

access
to the tank for cleaning out occasionally is beneficial.

The other consideration is Local Gvt rules and regs which may prevent

the
use of grey water or restrict its aplication (eg you can't spray it).

Good luck, Jim

Beware of storing grey water. Depending on the conditions you may be
providing a nutrient bath for microorganisms to grow in. The
environment, including our bodies, is covered in microbes but if you
allow them to breed you may be producing something that is more like
black water (sewerage) and just as potentially dangerous.

Subject to other considerations such as salts, detergents etc that
others have mentioned it is better to put it straight on to the garden
if you can. Once dispersed into the soil the low concentration of
microbes is not likely to be harmful unless you do soemthing silly like
spray it on to your lettuces and them make salad.

David

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Perksy

You'll get differing opinions on using grey water for veggies. I live
on a septic system on the outskirts of Brisbane and I have always been
a bit iffy on using the water for veggies - i tend to let the water go
on the plants that don't get the usual attention from the hose

In saying that - my grey water goes into a holding tank and gets
pumped out when the tank is full - if the restrictions start to get
bad up here I would consider using the rinse cycle water off the
washing machine for the veggies and leave it at that.... but that's
just me

I LOVE your drip system idea!! I have a rather large veggie garden,
and I am not using all the beds, but they get watered anyway....if I
could rig up a system like yours that would be great! could you send
me some photos???

Denise

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Tom Elliott

That's a great idea, and not hard for me to set up. Thanks for the
suggestion!

And lo, as foretold, on Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:09:43 +1100, Richard
Wright did write, in letters of flame, :

I think it is important to distinguish between dark and light grey
water. I dispose of the dark grey water, but have been using light
grey water in my Sydney garden for over five years.

It all comes from the washing machine.

The delivery hose from the machine automatically disposes of all the
dark grey, detergent laden, washing water down the sink.

The machine is set on 'drip dry', so that it stops its rinsing cycle
before pumping out the light grey rinsing water. The delivery hose is
then taken out of the sink and plugged into a pipe that sends the
rinsing water to a holding tank.

Richard

Happy Gardening!

--
Tom Elliott
Remove `mapsitna` to email
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
bassett

Where I am we are on tank water, with our only water coming from the roof,
The gardens where suffering, I installed a mini spray // sprinkler system,
.. Then I revamped the plumbing [ I,m lucky the house is on piers] All the
Bath / shower / washing machine water, now runs into a small tank, [200
litre plastic drum, used to import Spanish Olives] cost about $30.oo there
is an outlet at the bottom that is connected to a small pump, this supplies
the water to the sprinkler system, and providing its run for a short time
every day, nothing overflows,,
Also this will extend the life of the Septic and absorbsion trench.

Heather Edwards wrote in message
Dear Tom you're asking a question that I've been thinking about for quite
some time using greywater in the garden. Soapy water is often used as a
repellent to insects, what you probably need to think about is phosphates

&
biodegradeability of the soap you are using would be my guess. I like your
irrigation system idea. I wish you good luck with it. Heather.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Richard Wright

I think it is important to distinguish between dark and light grey
water. I dispose of the dark grey water, but have been using light
grey water in my Sydney garden for over five years.

It all comes from the washing machine.

The delivery hose from the machine automatically disposes of all the
dark grey, detergent laden, washing water down the sink.

The machine is set on 'drip dry', so that it stops its rinsing cycle
before pumping out the light grey rinsing water. The delivery hose is
then taken out of the sink and plugged into a pipe that sends the
rinsing water to a holding tank.

Richard