GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mulch leeching nitrogen (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13105-re-mulch-leeching-nitrogen.html)

Rita Bogna 05-04-2003 06:33 AM

Mulch leeching nitrogen

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:21:51 +0800, "Lynn" lynnj25spamfree @
iprimus.com.au wrote:

Hi All,

I put a 3 - 4 inch layer of Karri & peat mulch over my garden a month or so
ago but I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that as it rots down you
have to add nitrogen to combat the leeching.

How long before I should start to think about this and what's best to use?
Everything is looking very good but I don't want to wait for things to start
looking 'off' before I do something about it.

I'm in Perth.

I'd do it now and I'd use blood and bone.

Rita.