Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Clay Soil Answer

I notice a couple of posts about clay soil please see my reply re
Pittosperum.... You can add gypsum if a ped of the soil soaked in a glass of
water (simply drop it in) turns cloudy and remains cloudy the next day. Also
aeration and mulching and organic matter such as manure added will help
improve the soil. Best of luck all Heather.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
John Edwards

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 20:16:23 GMT, "Heather Edwards" wrote:

I notice a couple of posts about clay soil please see my reply re
Pittosperum.... You can add gypsum if a ped of the soil soaked in a glass of
water (simply drop it in) turns cloudy and remains cloudy the next day. Also
aeration and mulching and organic matter such as manure added will help
improve the soil. Best of luck all Heather.

But what can you add if it doesn't turn cloudy?

Thanks
John
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Jane VR

Heather Edwards wrote:
I notice a couple of posts about clay soil please see my reply re
Pittosperum.... You can add gypsum if a ped of the soil soaked in a glass of
water (simply drop it in) turns cloudy and remains cloudy the next day. Also
aeration and mulching and organic matter such as manure added will help
improve the soil. Best of luck all Heather.

I remember this differently, though it was along time ago and I'm
probably wrong. Something like - drop piece of soil in the glass -
something happens or doesn't happen (little cloud of dirt appears around
clump of soil, or doesn't) - put gypsum in - wait (up to 24 hrs) - if
there is a change (cloud of dirt disappears or appears), gypsum is
useful, if no effect, then not. I'm a bit vague on the details but I
definitly remember putting the gypsum in and going 'oooh, aahh' when it
changed what was happening.

Jane

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chris Garvey

Jane VR wrote:
: Heather Edwards wrote:
[...]

This is perfectly correct. This is a test for a dispersive soil which
will have poor structure and unstable peds. usually the result of
sodium, Calcium in the gypsum replaces the sodium on the clay surfaces.

regards

erastothenes

--
(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956